WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Hot idea...nooooo time to cultivate

SolidGrndSolidGrnd subscriber Posts: 11
edited October 2006 in Grab Bag
Okay...so I was wondering...I am forever coming up with ideas for things that I think would be great! As a matter of fact...I have two currently swimming around in my head with alllll the other stuff that is going on. One happens to be a project I worked on for a while WAY back in the day and never did anything with. So here is my question....are there people out there who will evaluate your ideas to see if they are viable...and then maybe purchase them...or give you a small "thinkers" fee for bringing them the idea or invention!? I jsut don`t have time to make these things or build on these ideas myself...I am working on one for myself that is WAY bigger than my abilities on my own...why add more to the pot!?
Any thoughts on what I should do with these potentially great ideas!?

Comments

• theswaynestertheswaynester subscriber Posts: 15 Bronze Level Member
    Hey Leah--I`m not sure if there are legitimate folks out there that will do that, but, I did want to caution you on the "invention marketing" scammers.Just do your due diligence before you make an investment.Check out this article: etingBrokers.aspThe Swaynester
  • LordEmsworthLordEmsworth subscriber Posts: 0
    Invention promotion is a massive scam in this country.  Inventors are annually bilked of millions of dollars by these companies.  What they do is promise a lot and do very little.  They might do a patent search but always conclude that the the invention is the best thing since sliced bread.  Even when they get patents for the inventors, they get weak or improper patents.  Then the do very little in the way of marketing.  And I suspect, from the clients I have had, that they actually might steal ideas. 
    The USPTO (www.uspto.gov</A>) offers some guidance about how to pick legitimate companies and has been tasked by Congress to gather complaints.  The FTC frequently prosecutes these companies and shuts them down.  But often, they open up again in the same location with a different name.  I wish there was a good way to stop these companies.
    Good luck.  If you want someone to patent your ideas, please fee free to contact me.
    Didn`t I provide you with information on starting a non-profit?
  • SolidGrndSolidGrnd subscriber Posts: 11
    Norton,
    Yes...you did...and that is what my focus is...which is why I would love to be able to give these (um...SELL these) ideas to someone else to cultivate! They are good ideas........okay...and not just in my opinion...I did see ONE company regarding patenting the one invention...but ultimately time and money are two very important factors I just don`t have to do this with! I would love to see them become realities...but in the same sense...I ain`t no dummy...I don`t want to just hand them over without gaining SOMETHING from having the fabulous idea!!! I mean what if it becomes the biggest thing sinces sliced bread and my name is NO where to be seen...then I am just some schlub!
    You know...it is just really a shame that there isn`t some honest and trustworthy way to find someone to do these things and not have them screw you over in the end!

Feel free to send them to me as well. LOL!
    Maybe if your feeling generous you could start an ideas thread, and we can develop the idea like a team them kill each other for them.  Or would it be a race to the start??  It would be interesting wouldn`t it?

Did you see what happened with the vacation idea....sheesh...not sure I want to throw some potentially multi-million dollar idea out for everyone to fight over...it could collapse SuN!  Nope...I will keep these ideas alllllll wrapped up in my head (um...and filing cabinet) until I can find someone who has the time and money to do something with them!
  • rexiedexierexiedexie subscriber Posts: 97 Silver Level Member
    SolidGrnd
    First thing I would do is... Place keywords related to your inventions in Google search.
    You will possibly find someone else has this idea too or it may have already be invented or patented.
    Do your own research.
    Good Luck Michael (rexiedexie)

netuser....kind of saddening...a dime a dozen...I hope mine don`t come off that way!
    Michael....definitely not out there yet...at least the one that has had my interest for a while! I don`t have anything more than the idea...the concepts...the BIG picture...and I actually do have it all in a workbook of sorts! Like I said...I took it to an invention company to talk about getting things going...but lost time and money and well...it was a much bigger idea than they were able to handle because it isn`t just product sales!
    Brian...don`t ask me why...but I have faith that you wouldn`t steal the idea. I will PM you and you can tell me what you think! Personally...I think they idea could be HUGE...but it is allllllll about execution with this one. It is a HUGE under taking if done as I designed...but BIG money if it works! I`ll send you a quick message to get your thoughts! Thanks for your help!
  • flipitflipit subscriber Posts: 0
    Dear Solid Grnd,
    I am an inventor of a new beverage holder and would like to advise you to get a nondisclouser signed if you are going to send your ideas to anyone. Also send yourself a signature requested letter with a discription of your idea first. Be sure to get a witness signature saying that they understand the consept. 
    Flip-It  
    To solid ground and flipit:
    The mail it to yourself scheme (some times called the poor man`s patent) is considered worthless.  Better is the USPTO Disclosure Document program.  But if you are going to do this PROPERLY you might as well have a NON-PROVISIONAL patent application written and filed.
    All great ideas...but again...I don`t have TIME for all that...I want to hand it over to someone else and watch it become a reality...make some cash off of it...and let someone else take most of the credit! Honestly...I am so wrapped up in my non-profit...I just can`t even imagine starting or even attempting to start anything else!