WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Need Help - Non-Profit Startup

SolidGrndSolidGrnd subscriber Posts: 11
Okay...so I have spent hours reading posts on this website...and they are all so informative and the information and contacts are so valuable. Buuuttt...here is that big giant but...I am trying to start a non-profit...which in a  lot of ways is VERY different from starting a for-profit business. I could use some guidance...a mentor...anything that might help! I feel completely lost in all of the legal stuff...the financial stuff...charity...IRS...you name it! Every time I think I am bringing things together...I am bombarded with 18 new links or sites I need to visit to make sure I have everything I need. Not to mention...where exactly do I get the startup capital for a non-profit that doesn`t have its non-profit status yet!?
Like I said...help would be VERY much appreciated!!!
Thanks in advance, 

Comments

• Options
    paul2145rpaul2145r subscriber Posts: 5
    I worked and helped maintain a non-profit humanitarian aid organization. Although I was more in the clerical/administrative aid side, I may still be able to offer you some help. Maybe not a mentor, but a friend, at the least. If you wish, email me at predko (at) redkointernational.com!
  • Options
    TG -
    Thanks a bunch for the links! I have the paperwork (thankfully) for registering...not just with my state but with all of them since I will be national from the start. I was on the IRS site and picked up some stuff....not sure if I have that particular pub though...so I will have to check it out. I am definitely going to be working VERY hard to make sure this organization stays on the up and up...no fraud...no funny business...this is WAY too important to me to have it screwed up by illegal crap! Plus...if I can`t make this work legally...then it wasn`t meant to be!
    Are you at all familiar with non-profits and how they are run...it would be nice to have a devil`s advocate looking over what I am doing to make sure I have all my Is dotted and Ts crossed!
    Paul...thanks...I will drop you a line...any information you might have would be helpful.
  • Options
    KittykatKittykat subscriber Posts: 0
    Hi Leah,
    I saw you ad looking for information.  I am also going in circles trying to find the right information for sightseeing tour small business.  Hopefully someone can help us.  Call the government you might be able get answers for the non-profit areas.
    Kittykat

• Options
    TJ
    Thank you soooooo much for your help and support! This has been so frustrating trying to figure out where to do and how to get there and where to start and how NOT to become one of those who doesn`t do things right! I want this to work more than anything...and I want it to work right!
    Thanks again! I will give you a call when I get a chance!
    Leah
  • Options
    Hi Leah,
    I understand what you are going through, if I see anything that would be of interest to you I will email to you at once.  How about calling some of the non profit organization that you are aware of, or perhaps the Chamber of Commerce, Enterprise Toronto.  Are you located in Toronto, Ontario?
    Kittykat
  • Options
    Hey there KittyKat,
    Nope...I am in Oregon. I have been in touch with SCORE...which was VERY helpful...but they are very limited in their knowledge of non-profits. I have TONS of information from websites, and government entities...I think the problem now that I have most of my ducks...getting them all in a row! I feel like I am in the HUGE field of ducks and no CLUE how to round them all and get them to walk in a straight line!   This whole starting a business thing is harder than it looks sometimes! TONS of information...jsut not sure how to make it all work for you...ya` know! Anything you got would be SUPER helpful!
    Thanks for the support!

• Options
    Hi Leah,
    Have you had any luck with your non profit business?
  • Options

Hi Leah,
    Have you had any luck with your non profit business?

Hey there Kitty,
    Luck is an understatement...I love SuN!!! The people here have been popping up to help all over (okay...so technically I have only spoken to a few that have had some great information for the non-profit...but everyone has been super great)! I have to admit...I never thought this would get so big so fast...but I am thrilled!!! I have a friend who is going to help me try to fill out the major paperwork on my own instead of spending money I don`t have to have someone else do it! We shall see how that works out! I am realy excite though! Have a home office set up now...and things ar emoving along nicely! Wish I could "open the doors" yesterday...but there is still so many things i need to get done first!
    How are things with you?
  • Options
    I am glad to hear that your business is moving ahead.  I am still going in circles trying to fill the gaps for my business.  I am meeting with the Entrepwomen in September and hopefully that would help.  Keep in touch.
    Kittykat
  • Options
    LordEmsworthLordEmsworth subscriber Posts: 0
    I recently formed a non-profit for my wife.  I thought it was not all that hard to do.  (Maybe that`s because I am a lawyer)  I found step-by-step instructions on the NOLO Press Website.  I also found another good resource but I cannot determine where I got it from.  (If you send me your e-mail I will send you this as an attachment.) And I got some forms from the "Handbook for Starting a Successful NonProfit."  Again, at this point I do not know how I got to this book but if you search around on the web I think you should be able to find it.  If not there are several web sites that sell legal forms not too expensively.
    Hope this helps.  Good luck.
  • Options
    PROTENPROTEN subscriber Posts: 0

This, for TJG:
    Stop whining about Things you know Nothing about !
    Simply because a 501 or other non profit, pay no Taxes,
    Doesn`t mean guys like You are futting Anything, much Less a Bill!
    Many non-profits are Providers of services To their Communities, which Otherwise Need to be Futted By you, In the form of Taxes taken From others !
    Non-profits are Funded Not by Taxes, but by Other organisations which Sponsor them, be they Medical,Health,Housing,Battered Women, Children, Elderly, Make a Wish for Dieing Children, Education, Communety Development,............................
    Man, are My fingers Tired !
    When Was the last time You actualy Payed for these things ? Never ? That`s what i Thaught!
  • Options
    Okay...since this is my thread...I would like to respond to whomever you are (PROTEN). First of all...please take your anger someplace else, or at least use it in a more appropriate venue. TJG happens to be extremely helpful when starting a non-profit because of what he knows about them. Not only that...but his comment was based on the premise that there are MANY non-profits out there that are not acting legally. I suggest you take a moment to get to know who it is you are jumping on before you begin your next rant in regards to a posting. He is actually extremely educated in the world of non-profit due to his involvement with a non-profit within his industry.
    Please...rest your tired fingers and get to know these people before you lay into anyone else unjustly.
    Thank you.
  • Options
    ideaanalystideaanalyst subscriber Posts: 0
    Hi Leah,The other thing you may want to look into is finding a fiscal sponsor after you are incorporated, but while you are awaiting your 501 c3 status. We do this when working with filmmakers who raise grant funding. I have yet to find a fiscal sponsor for someone other than a filmmaker, but I have read they exist. Does anyone here have information on fiscal sponorship for non profits awaiting their 501 c3 status...as in how to find these organizations. A fiscal sponsor will do just that sponsor you agency, lend their 501 c3 status and there is an application process. They normally take a fee for receiving grants on your behalf...for films it has been 6% as an example. I was told there are specific organizations who do just this, act as a fiscal sponor for non profits, and of course they are a non profit themself with their 501 c3 status attained and in good standing. Can anyone ellaborate on this?thanksLisaLisa
  • Options
    Lisa,
    I had never heard of this...but I will definitely be looking into it! Thank you for the info!!