WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Ask Mark Coker your PR questions

Comments

• Options
    PRProPRPro subscriber Posts: 25
    Mark,
    Thank you so much for being such an active member of StartupNation! You are really providing some valuable information.
    And Marcy, I`m sorry to hear things didn`t work out with the online posting of your article. Free sites for posting articles on the Web are added regularly so you may find a new site that will be interested in your article - without having to pay a fee.
    Melanie
  • Options
    gemprgempr subscriber Posts: 0
    Thanks.  I`m, of course, already doing that.  I was just hoping there was a list somewhere. 

• Options
    dovetaildovetail subscriber Posts: 1
    Hi Grokodile,It depends on what you mean by controversial.  If your ads are truthful and get people to wake up and think about an important issue, then maybe they`re okay.If, however, you think your ads will garner a lot of negative attention or offend people, I might advise against it.  I don`t subscribe to the old mantra that all PR is good PR, because it`s simply not true.  Good PR is about forging a meaningful long lasting relationship with your "publics," such as your local community, your customers, your employees, the media, and even your industry.Feel free to share more on this board.Best,Mark
  • Options
    Hi Grokodile,
    I have to agree with Mark on this one. If you are going to use controversial advertising, be prepared. It could completely backfire, and you could find yourself handling a crisis rather than increasing profits.
    Plus, it`s a good idea to do some research in advance. Is it worth the time and effort to have a controversial message out there just to generate buzz - good or bad? In the end, is your controversial advertising message really going to get people to actually purchase your products and services - if that is your overall goal?  Just some things to think about...
    Melanie
  • Options
    Any new questions from folks?Best,Mark
  • Options
    stevesteve subscriber Posts: 14
    Melanie and Mark,
    My wife and I started our gluten free bakery earlier this year on a part-time
    basis. I was recently informed that my job as a computer programmer is
    being moved to the Prague office at the end of the year. My goal is to
    build our business to the point where I can go full-time by then. With
    the Governor`s race in full swing, job losses in Michigan are a hot
    topic right now. How  can this situation gain us some much needed
    publicity for our business?

I was considering contacting the local media indicating
    that if they`re looking for someone who is taking a positive, proactive
    response to a job loss I`d be happy to talk to them. Your thoughts?

Thanks,
    Steve
  • Options
    Hi Steve,
    I`m so sorry to hear about your change in job status. But this may be a blessing in disguise. Now, you can really focus on your bakery and use this situation to concentrate on your business plan.
    Tell your personal story to local media members as it relates to the current job-loss trend. Perhaps they would like to follow your new business as it grows? You can also use this opportunity to concentrate on grassroots marketing efforts. Think about all of the things you can do to reach customers-direct mail campaigns, events, presentations, contests, etc.
    Create a plan with specific deadlines, and this will help you reach your goals faster. With your new situation, it`s time to "pick up the pace" and do what it takes to move your business to the next level quickly.
    However, if this is not possible and you need more time, perhaps you can take on another part-time job so that you can build your new business while having additional income?
    I hope this helps. Thanks for sharing your situation Steve. I`m sure a lot of other people out there are going through the same thing.
    Melanie
  • Options
    Steve,Your story makes me recall another Michigan story.  I think it was in the early 80s or 90s - it was during another bad time for Michigan and the automakers.  Lots of layoffs.  One of the layed off autoworkers, out of necessity, decided to start his own business.  He figured out a way to take ordinary masking tape material and wrap it inside out around a plastic roller.  And he gave birth to what I am sure is now the multi-hundred million dollar lint brush industry.And speaking for myself, back in `92 I was working for IBM and got layed off, right during the recession.  That ended up opening a door for me with a job at my first PR agency, which later led to me starting my current agency 18 months later.  And that was almost 13 years ago.I suspect you are correct in assuming your local media is hungering for some signs of local business success.  While your positive approach is a *positive* first step, you`ll probably need more in your PR bag of tricks to get a story.  The reporter will want to see that your business is either successful or on the road to success.  Given that gluten free baking is hot right now, that will play in your favor.  Maybe you can prep a simple fact sheet on the health benefits of gluten free foods.  Then assemble some metrics that demonstrate some early business success and "wins."  Maybe, for example, you`ve been doing this out of your home for 18 months, and sales have gone from $10 the first week to $500 a week now, word is spreading like quickly, you`re approaching max capacity for your kitchen, and you`re supplying A, B, and C local hotels and X, Y and Z local companies, and now you have plans to expand the business, find a bakery facility and, here`s the big thing that makes the story, HIRE your first employees.  Since I don`t know your full story, I imagine you`re somewhere along the spectrum of startup and budding business success that I outlined.  Bottom line is that you want to package your story`s thruthful ingredients together until it looks tasty.  Then contact your local reporters with the pitch, and maybe an offer to stop by and let them taste your specialty muffin or whatever.  If you live near Google`s planned facility, you could also contact Google now and offer to help build out the baking facilities for their new campus.  Google preps their own food with their own chefs.  Portions are also outsourced.  See: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060712/ap_ ... ogle_michi gan_15Good luck!
  • Options
    p5gal5p5gal5 subscriber Posts: 0
    Just starting out reading this thread and I`m trying to catch up... 
    I completely agree with the information about local new stations and getting showcased.
    Anecdotal example: we started out as a home business about 11 years ago; we`ve grown and branched out with several websites, products lines, bought an actual building (currently have around fifteen employees), and have a loyal stream of customers.  Several years ago, a local person (who happened to work at a news station) ordered some of our products, saw that we were in town and recommended to a coworker/manager that we be featured on a weekly segment that showcases locally-made products and small businesses.  Instant exposure! 
  • Options
    Hi Harold,Sounds like you provide a valuable service to consumers.  I`ve read about this topic recently.  Here`s a story that the Washington Post wrote that has been syndicated widely:  http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/st ... ry=107281& amp; amp;ran=171553I would start your campaign by focusing on the print and online media first, and then once you find success there, build upon it by targeting broadcast.There are hundreds of potential reporters who might be interested in your story.  In the media, most reporters are assigned to specific beats.  Internet reporters are an obvious target for you, especially those that work at consumer oriented media outlets.  In addition to Internet reporters, some newspapers also have consumer action reporters.  I might start your PR campaign by targeting Internet reporters at the top 100 daily newspapers across the country.  Here`s a list:http://www.infoplease.com/ipea/A0004420 ... bsp;  Next, target the internet reporters at the top wire services, such as the Associated Press (often just called "the AP") and Reuters.  Wire reporters are often generalists covering specific geographic regions, so locate the AP reporter who covers your local area.  Reuters reporters usually need an angle that relates to a publicly traded company.  The advantage of getting a wire story is that it will be syndicated to potentially hundreds of newspapers. Alot of publications also write about interesting web sites.  In terms of the opening attention getter, I prefer simple straighforward pitches.  Email is a great way to contact reporters.  When you find a reporter who you think might be interested, drop them an email.  It could be as simple as, "Hi [reporter first name], I just read your article on [topic close to your own] and I`m wondering if you might be interested in learning about my service, Haroldsays (http://www.haroldsays.com).  Followed by 2-3 sentences describing the service, and maybe a success story or two.  Alternatively, you could ask if they`d be interested in doing a trend story (along the lines of the Washington Post story) on how consumers are using the Internet as a megaphone to shame and praise companies.  Keep it brief and to the point and definitely do a spell check of your email before you send it.  Offer to put them in touch with users of your service, and thank them for their consideration.  PR is an ongoing process, so set a goal of contacting, say 10 reporters a day who appear appropriate.  Over time, you`ll get a better feel for how to work with them.In your email, try to use an informative subject line that the reporter can view and instantly know it`s NOT spam.  If the reporter`s column or blog is called, "On the Net," for example, I might try a subject like "On the Net/Haroldsays.com Gives Consumers a Voice," or something like that.In addition to newspapers, also go after consumer-oriented technology magazines, such as PC World and maybe even PC Magazine.  They often do roundup stories on interesting web sites.  CNET also does the same.Good luck!Mark
  • Options
    Hi Marcy,Thanks for sharing the release with the board.  Hopefully my comments here can help you and other members of this board to improve the effectiveness of their press releases.  Remember that my comments are only my opinions, and I`m going to try to be deliberately nitpicky to help everyone hopefully learn some of the thinking that goes into successful PR.I`ll provide some random comments, and then I`ll try doing a quick edit.Purpose:  First, before I proceed, let`s be clear about the purpose of a release.  We want a reporter to read it, and we want them to form a certain judgement about it.  And that judgement is, "I think my readers will find this interesting/enticing/facinating/worthwhile/educational/revea ling/helpful/etc."The headline:  The headline is the most important part of a release.  More people will read your headline than the rest of the press release.  (BTW, I`d highly recommend a book for everyone called Ogilvy on Advertising.  It`s got some interesting background info and stats on how people read and advertisement, and many of the rules are transferable to press releases and other marketing communications)  And if you can`t get someone to finish the headline, they won`t release the release.  I don`t like this headline because the first part of it doesn`t tell me anything.  It`s trying to be cute or creative or enticing, but if I`m a busy reporter, when I pick up a press release I`m looking for reasons to trash it, I`m not looking for reasons to read it.  So any stumbling block that requires my time to think or wonder what the point is will give me the excuse I need to press the delete button.  Yes, I`m being nit-picky, but you want to put yourself in the shoes of the reporter - they`re busy, overworked, stressed, and (some of my reporter friends will hate me for this), lazy.  Okay, not all of them are lazy, but to the extent you can make things easy for them, you`ll get better coverage.  The second part of the headline is almost there, but the wording is awkward.  Cut through the craft clutter?  Doesn`t sound terribly enticing to me.  And you need to spell out the number.  There`s a rule that numbers less than 11 (I think) are spelled out.  It`s called "AP Style," which you want to try to adhere to for press releases if possible (all of us break it all the time, I have to admit)  If you`re interested to learn more about AP Style, check out the book at the library or any bookstore.The next most important part of the release, surprise surprise, is the first paragraph.  Again, if I`m the reporter I`m waiting for a reason to discard this.  Since you`re targeting a local market, you should identify yourself as a local resident, or a local businessperson.  It will help you better pass through the filters reporters are consciously or unconsciously applying to this as they form a judgement.The first paragraph says you`re "offering the following tips..." but then what follows is a paragraph about the market, not tips.Your statistics:  No need to list the overall craft and hobby market, because the scrap booking number is impressive enough.  But this number needs a source.  Such as, "According the the national scrapbooking association, ..." or whatever.  You need to list the source of your claim, unless this data is according to you, which I doubt.I would have liked to see you sell me more on the popularity of scrapbooking, and maybe tell me why it`s such a great activity.  Why is scrapbooking all the rage?  Give me a number to show it`s all the rage, like if you`ve got a stat that shows that sales of scrapbooking supplies were $X billion in 2005, up XX% from five years ago, and then tell me why it`s gaining in popularity, or why there`s a resurgence of interest.  That makes it more of a "trend" story, and reporters love to report on hot new trends.  Maybe it`s a great activity for parents and children to do together.  Tell me why it`s fun, wholesome, entertaining, etc.  I`m not looking for an entire paragraph, but maybe a couple words here or there, or a single sentence.Your nines tips:   Should be numbered.  I only counted eight.  If you change the headline to include the word "secrets," it will be more enticing.  Consider condensing your eight secrets down to seven.  Seven Secrets... flows well over the tongue, and if it flows over the tongue, it flows easily through a person`s mind.My suggested edits follow (feel free to disagree with me.  These are only my opinions, and in PR there are multiple "right" ways to do things){need to list press contact info here}Press contact:Your name hereYour business namephone numberweb addressemail addressFOR IMMEDIATE RELEASEJacksonville Scrapbooking Expert Offers Eight Secrets to Scrapbooking Success[insert city your company is based in then dash dash then insert the date]Anytown, Florida -- July 27, 2006 --  Marcy Shuler, a Jacksonville scrapbooking expert, today announced the formation of her new company, Scrapbook Space Station.  The business manufacturers space-saving scrapbooking furniture that helps scrapbookers better organize their materials.According to [source], scrapbooking has become one of the most popular American pasttimes, with one out of four American households busily collecting, collating and organizing their scrapbook memories.  Scrapbooking is big business, accounting for annual sales of $2.4 billion a year.  "One of the biggest challenging facing scrapbookers is how to keep all their supplies organized," says Shuler.  "Without the right tools and the right scrapbooking strategy, the clutter can quickly invade every room of the house.  I recommend that scrapbookers dedicate a single room to their scrapbooking hobby, and use proper furniture to stay organized."Shuler offers both novice and experienced scrapbookers the following nine secrets to scrapbooking success:1,  Mount a magnetic board on the inside of the wall cabinet door panel of your scrapbooking furniture, so you can use magnetic organizers to store items within easy reach, but out of sight.  This magnetic board is also handy for postingmagazine clippings and photos.2.  Use sets of drawers on wheels to allow for easy mobility.  During acrafting session, roll the drawers close to you.  When you`re done,roll them back into place.3.  Keep "works in progress" in one specific drawer, for instant access.4.  Choose a workstation with deep drawers, bins, or pockets that willfit specialty paper sizes and tools unique to your hobby.  You shouldbe able to reach in easily.   Supplies should be stored away neatly,not crammed in, ready to fall out at any moment.5.  Think about specific tools or supplies you use frequently, andchoose organizational totes or containers with those thoughts in mind.6.  Store paper by color family to make it easier to find exactly theright piece. 7.  Store paper scraps of each color in page protectors orplastic envelopes, behind full pieces of the same color family.8.  Look for containers that help display your supplies for quickselections, without demanding a lot of valuable workspace.Editor`s note:  Schuler is available for interviews(this is the boilerplate section of your release, where you talk about your company)About Scrapbook Space Station, Inc. (if you`re Inc`d)Founded in [year], Scrapbook Space Station provides a one stop furniture source for scapbooking enthusiasts.   Noted scrapbooking expert and Scrapbook Space Station president Marcy Shuler personally consults with clients and helps them choose the right furniture items and accessories from her broad range of available options.  Schuler`s organizational furniture helpshobbyists maximize their crafting time and space.  The items availableinclude desks, cabinets, drawers, and organizers, each withcustomizable features.  She offers complimentary in-homeconsultations for locals in the Jacksonville area who want todetermine how to best organize their crafting materials.  To contact the company, please call XXX.XXX.XXXX, email at http://www.webaddress.com.###
  • Options
    stevesteve subscriber Posts: 14
    If a press release is being sent by e-mail to a particular editor or
    reporter, is there a convention or advice about the e-mail subject?

Also is the release an attachment or in the e-mail body?

Any need for introduction or does the release stand alone?

Thanks for mentioning the AP Stylebook. First I`ve heard of it, and expect it will go a long way to reduce PR anxiety.

• Options
    Hi Everyone,
    Thanks for sharing all of this information on the forum.
    To avoid some of the anxiety about writing a press release, just make it easy on yourself-Think about who you are sending it to and why that person will care about what you have to say.
    If you read your draft release from the perspective of the recipient, you`ll be able to tell what  needs to be removed or edited. Just keep it short, and give all of your pertinent information in the beginning. Most reporters just don`t have time to read a lot of text.
    As far as sending the release to the press, I would highly suggest avoiding attachments due to virus-protection services. In your e-mail, you`ll want to include a personalized, brief introduction and your contact information. That way, media members can get the key information quickly and easily.
    Thanks!Melanie
  • Options
    keyconkeycon subscriber Posts: 34
    Mark,
    Thanks for taking the time to analyze Marcy`s PR and your suggestions. Great work! Valuable information for all.
    R@
  • Options
    Steve,There`s no fixed convention about subject lines, but as a best practice try to keep them informative, and put something in there that connects with the reporter.  For example, a subject that reads "Save more money now" will get flagged as spam, not to mention it tells the recipient nothing. A subject of "Powerpumper - New widget increases gas mileage," or "reporter`s column name here - New widget increases gas mileage" might get better attention.I`d second Melanie`s comments about file attachments.  Avoid them.  Plain text messages without fancy formatting or colored type work best.  If your original press release is in Word, be careful not to just cut and paste it, because Word will often introduce strange control characters into the recipient`s email like question marks instead of commas.  When you`re composing the email, you often won`t see the problem, but when the reporter gets the email it makes your text difficult to read.  So instead, save your Word file as pure text, close the text file, then reopen it and format it.  Then cut and paste. Another tip about cut and paste.  If you want to go into your send box to copy and paste the message into a new message, remember to reformat the new message, otherwise your paragraphs will look like this paragraph to the recipient, all choppy.Happy pitching,Mark