WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Financial / accounting site - critiques appreciated

MactMact subscriber Posts: 1
edited August 2009 in Website Critique

Hello everyone,

I recently launched a website offering online accounting services and would appreciate some constructive criticism from fellow entrepreneurs. I designed it myself (I`m not a programmer, so I`m sure there are at least a few coding errors).

In addition to critiques of the site`s design, I`d appreciate feedback on the overall business concept, its appeal to business owners and factors that might prevent them from using a service like ours.
I realize that for a service business like this, most clients will come through networking and word of mouth referrals. But I`d like the site to be effective in generating interest from the general public as well.

The general concepts I`m trying to convey are quality, value, convenience, efficiency, peace of mind, data security and improvements over the old way of doing things. I`d like to create a professional image that appeals to small business owners.

A few basic questions:

Would you use our service? If not, why not?
How is the content? Is it easy to read? Too wordy? Too technical? Boring to read? Not folksy enough?
How`s the homepage layout? Is it cluttered with too much content? Is the color scheme okay?

Be tough, I can handle it! Thanks in advance.
Mike

Mact8/5/2009 4:57 PM

Comments

• MactMact subscriber Posts: 1
    Craig, thanks for the review. You bring up a lot of great points.
    The site seems fine in FF 3.x. Haven`t yet tried FF 2.x or IE 6.x. IN any case, I agree with Jarrod that this probably isn`t a huge deal, considering the small number of users. For an e-commerce site, it might be an issue, but for a service biz like this, probably not since most potential clients would be using current browsers.
    I`ll overhaul the home page and post it soon. If you think it`s crowded now, you should have seen the first draft!
    I changed the heading to something along the lines of your suggestion, which was good. I agree about the need for photos - they`re coming as soon as we have some taken professionally.
    The FAQs for privacy and security are linked in the footer.
    The text on several pages is a first draft and, I agree, needs to be refined or rewritten. Do you or does anyone else know what hiring a good editor costs? Just for a "tune up" of existing copy, not creating copy from scratch.
  • MactMact subscriber Posts: 1
    Hi guys,
    Thanks for the helpful comments and suggestions. I plan to incorporate most of them into the site.
    I`ve been getting a lot of comments that the original homepage was too packed with content. So I cleaned it up a bit. I`d appreciate your comments on the new one.

Revised version 

Original version

Thanks again!