WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

The best way to get an investor is not to ask?

MattTurpinMattTurpin subscriber Posts: 22
edited March 2009 in Startup Funding
So it seems for me. Today I got the very unexpected, and equally good news, that a private "angel" style investor who`s a friend/acquaintance of the friend of mine who`s my main partner in the whole cafe endeavor volunteered today to chip in 15,000 or so to help us get started - unsolicited. He`ll be part owner till such time as I can pay him off. He doesn`t want as much of a ROI as I`m hoping to give him. As far as I`m concerned, this person actually believes in us, and that`s worth more than going interest rate. The contract will be more conservative of course. This really is unexpected good luck, and the reason I post is because it ratifies the theory that getting investors requires being within one step of one. If you know an investor and you have a good idea, you probably won`t have to ask for money. They`ll see a good venture. This totally encourages me to move forward, because clearly I`m doing something right.

Comments

• robertjrobertj subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    It is true that the vast majority of early capital comes from people you know or people they know (occasionally from people they know). We`ve also noted that in every situation where someone supplied the capital -two conditions existed:
    1. The investor "resonated" with the project.
    2. The investor "connected" with the founder or one of the team.

It may be that you didn`t specifically ask him to invest - but someone must have communicated the project "story" to him in a way that encouraged him to support it.

Congratulations.
  • Architect4StarsArchitect4Stars subscriber Posts: 2
    Great news. Wish you the best. Hopefully, we`ll be next.
    Larez