WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

The prelaunch "beta test"

MattTurpinMattTurpin subscriber Posts: 22
edited March 2009 in Marketing
I don`t know another term for it than beta test, because I`m a computer game nerd at heart. The gist of it is my plan for initial marketing. Word of mouth is where it`s at. I aim to pay for, out of my own pocket (since I don`t want to negatively impact a very vulnerable startup cafe in the first few days) several (I`ll devote a thousand or so to this) full house arrangements of family, friends and contacts. They`d come down on a night before we`re open for business, and get to enjoy all that the cafe has to offer, for free. There`d be no strings attached. No surveys. No obligations.
I don`t think I`d need obligations. The word of mouth referral that comes unsolicited is infinitely more valuable than the one tied to a contract of any sort. I just want a whole bunch of people to really, really like what I have to offer. They`ll like it more because it`s free, but when they`re talking about it, they`ll be most inclined to talk about how great the place/coffee is. Anyone else do anything like this? Any suggestions to fine tune the idea? I think it should do a lot to get my business booming faster than it would with traditional ads.