WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

My wiki on MillionDollarWiki.com

ideaGENERATORideaGENERATOR subscriber Posts: 4
edited July 2007 in Website Critique
I don`t own the main site, but I purchased the page in my signature.  Does it look professional and sell well.  I can take critism and prefer it over praise.
 ideaGENERATOR2007-7-13 16:7:11

Comments

• Options
    VideographyVideography subscriber Posts: 401 Silver Level Member
    "Enjoy the benefits of owning a page"OK, name one.I don`t see anything that tells me why I would want to invest in a Wiki page.
  • Options
    Maybe the thread name was confusing, I changed it in hopes it clearifies that I don`t actually own Million Dollar Wiki - I just own one page on that site.

I only want people to comment on my page, (ideaGENERATOR)  not the website... milliondollarwiki.com/Idea_Generator

Sorry for the confusion.ideaGENERATOR2007-7-13 16:11:3
  • Options
    "I only want people to comment on my page, (ideaGENERATOR)  not the website..."I *think* I get it, but I still don`t get it.  If it`s what I suspect that it is, then it`s a bizarre business model, but that`s not what you wanted critiqued.I like the logo and tagline.That`s about it.There`s nothing on the page explaining, well, anything.  Just two "Buy Now" buttons.  I don`t have a clue what I am buying.  Why would I want a "Brainstorming session" over a "Quick Fix"?  You haven`t said what either option buys.  Who is "The Team"  What are their credentials? Why are they any better at giving advice than than websites like StartupNation.com?I resist getting into other peoples` business planning,  but who the hell is "MillionDollarWiki" and how are they driving viewers to your page?
  • Options
    "There`s nothing on the page explaining, well, anything.  Just two "Buy Now" buttons.  I don`t have a clue what I am buying.  Why would I want a "Brainstorming session" over a "Quick Fix"?  You haven`t said what either option buys.  Who is "The Team"  What are their credentials? Why are they any better at giving advice than than websites like StartupNation.com? Good points.  The descriptions are confusing you guys, which means they are not working well and need to be totally reworded.  Nice point about having exact details about what each option entails.

Thanks for your critism, I need to go back to the drawing board.

I resist getting into other peoples` business planning,  but who the hell is "MillionDollarWiki" and how are they driving viewers to your page? Million Dollar Wiki is a community site, where individual pages are for sale.  I am promoting my own page, and notice some other page owners doing the same, and we all share the traffic the community generates. I bought in because page owners consist mostly of internet entrepreneurs, in other words, my potential clients.

But that is exactly why I am here.  I want to improve my page to make it as effective as possible - who doesn`t  But you gave me some critical advice - and I need to work on the wording right away.  Thanks again.

Matt
  • Options
    I do plan on getting an official website - but I planned on using this as a starting point because it cost $100 and nothing more.  Without spending anything else besides time, I can see if this works out before I spend more money and persue it more.

If it works, then I would definitely use it as a "business card" by making it a portal to my website.

So i`ll rework the copywriting and bring it back - pretty much what I got out of everyones reviews.

Thank you.
  • Options
    GeorgeAppiahGeorgeAppiah subscriber Posts: 0
    Interesting how many copycat million dollar this and million dollar that have popped up since that kid made a million bucks with his MillionDollarHomepage.Looking at MillionDollarWiki, it *seems* to be like Seth Godin`s Squidoo (where you create a page -- called lense -- about anything, for free), except MillionDollarWiki carries a price tag of $100 per page!Now, I also wouldn`t want to get into your business model, but if it`s a web presence you want, then something is amiss here. I went to the page and I couldn`t differentiate your service from MillionDollarWiki at all, with their huge  logo up there.Yea, it`s a community, you say, ... but even then, I`d rather keep an external site with full branding, and promote it within a community (like SuN), rather than hand out $100 bucks for a single page. Just my two pesewas ... eh ... cents.
  • Options
    iouone2iouone2 subscriber Posts: 14
    I am with most here... I am not motivated to buy into your skills. I know there are issues within my business. I can see them. They are constantly being critiqued, restructured or tweaked. From your site page, the copy doesn`t lead me to believe you could do any better solving my problems than I am.I too really dislike seeing the big banner of milliondollarwiki at the top.
  • Options
    prexprex subscriber Posts: 1
    Well, now guys, I`m not so sure here. Look at their alexa rank: 45,000 yesterday. http://alexa.com/data/details/traffic_d ... lliondolla rwiki.com/&url=milliondollarwiki.com/ And the fact that they`re selling pages consistently is a plus sign. These internet real estate type of sites have a way of getting huge and generative a lot of traffic. I`m gonna keep my eye on this one.
  • Options
    prexprex subscriber Posts: 1
    By the way, George Appia, thats a very interesting picture you have.
  • Options
    My name is Matthew,

I don`t want to sound like a jerk - but I didn`t want to talk about Million Dollar Wiki here - you can start another post if you`d like. 

That said, I am taking the good advice (like suggestion for better copy) to improve my page.  This is my first venture into something like this and I decided to test out the waters before jumping fulltime into a job like this. 

I guess I want to promote more of a casual brainstorming session.  How many times do you look to friends for opinions only to get "somethings wrong" or meaningless praise.  My aim is to look for problems, suggest improvements, and even ideas you might have over looked.  It never hurts to have a second perpsective pointing out things that free advice won`t get you.
  • Options
    I don`t want to sound like a jerk - but I didn`t want to talk about Million Dollar Wiki here - you can start another post if you`d like. You seem to be missing a very significant critique that`s been offered here by many people.  We keep coming back to MDW because it dominates your "page".  It sucks all the oxygen from your message.  It is the first thing you see and as the first responders said - it looked like your service IS a part of MDW.  Talk about branding confusion.  I am trying to imagine why you didn`t just register a domain name and get an inexpensive hosting site.  The domain name registration is less than $10 per year and site hosting starts at $3.95 per month.  MDW should be paying you for all the free advertising of their brand on your page.Steve
  • Options
    FINE... you want to talk about it???

I asked people to look past being on Million Dollar Wiki, but obvioulsy it is going to keep being brought up unless I address the reasons why I bought my page.

Why did you buy a page?
    It is attracting my targeted audience, entrepreneurs. Most of the page owners already know to come to me for ideas on the MDW forum and I even got 2 paying clients from Million Dollar Wiki.

Price this, price that...
    3.95x12 = 47.40
    +6.99 for domain= $53.39 every year
    in less than two years I will pay over the only $100 I spent on Million Dollar Wiki.

The header takes over your page
    I know what you mean, but if you surf the site, you`ll see it on every page - most people will realize that right away. Especially after the site grows.

But no one knows the site
    It is new and there are not many people on the site.  I am taking a chance that it will flop. 

It`s a Million Dollar Homepage rip off
    No it is not.  I would never buy a square on one of those ridiculous sites - even the original. There is no pixel advertising.  MDHompage only got visitors from the publicity and it died.  MDWiki is based on content - and I bet that is what will draw people to the site, not just a big PR blitz.

It is a copy of squidoo
    Squidoo is free - but that`s the problem.  How many sites have free user generated content.  I`m tired of myspace and all the crappy wepages that attract nothing but spam.  I am glad to know that not just anyone can own a page.

MDW should be paying you for all the free advertising of their brand on your page
    Only means that every page owner who advertises their page is giving MDW a better shot at making it. I`d rather have that then feel my investment has a small chance at making it.

Anyone else think I am stupid for basing my presense on this site?  I eventually will get a domain and site - but only if I can make my business work first.  The added bonus is if Million Dollar Wiki makes it, I will be connected to hundreds upon hundreds of entrepreneurs, who know the name ideaGENERATOR because I grew with the community from the start.ideaGENERATOR2007-7-18 0:51:56
  • Options
    Sorry Craig, didn`t mean that to come after your post - I started reading and typing before I saw your responce.
  • Options
    rkerstenrkersten subscriber Posts: 0
    I also own a Million Dollar Wiki page. I own the Marketing page, and so far it`s doing exceptionally great. I think that it was a pretty smart "investment" as it`s already bringing in some cash, and I should be able to sell it off in the future. Since you know the Business page sold on E-Bay for over 6k. Have a look, www.milliondollarwiki.com/marketing</A> . It`s a smart idea all around.