WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Contemplating failure and life in the cube...

MattCMattC subscriber Posts: 10
edited January 2009 in Office Workers
So I am about 6 weeks away from launching my company and the idea of failure has been on my mind.

What if this business doesn`t work?  What if no one buys my product? 

I`ve come to realize that its not the idea of the business failing that`s the most daunting thing...  its the fact that I`d be back to working in the cubicle in this 9-7 with no light at the end of the tunnel......

Anyone else been at this point?

Comments

• HRB1HRB1 subscriber Posts: 2
    MattC,
    I feel you bro! My perspective is I`d rather deal with all that comes with taking the faith leap rather than what I`d deal with if I didn`t.

Cool Runnings!

HRB

www.wowzzy.com "Bringing small business to the big table!"

• drm7drm7 subscriber Posts: 1
    I`m right here in my cube feeling exactly what you feel.  The thought of my planned business venture almost keeps me from being able to perform at work.  My first dreams of being an entrepreneur started when I was 19.  I even switched college majors from engineering to accounting to support a venture one day.  Finally at 41 my day is coming.  We are trying to sell our home and relocate for an opportunity.  My wife is a very strong advocate for me and is backing me 110%.  But once out of the cube I can`t go back, EVER!    It is all or nothing for me.  Failure is not an option.  As Yogi Berra once said, "if you come to a fork in the road, take it".  In other words, in your venture always be ready to react to whatever comes at you.  You will hit many forks and you can never know for sure which way to go but you have to make choices and keep going.
    Best wishes!
  • WebJunkyWebJunky subscriber Posts: 8 Member
    one way to subside your fear is to launch on the side (if your business is such that it allows you) while keeping your job. this way you can test the waters and realize some success. you should know whether or not your business has potential to boom eventually and can make that decision accordingly. i am not an advocate of giving up the 9-5 and jumping straight into ventures. 
    another must is a well crafted business plan that ensures you have thought of everything related to your business. there should be a good exit plan in place as well in case you are uncertain about the business` success.  there will always be worry and fear, but planning and taking the right steps minimizes it significantly.

good luck to you and please inform us of your success!