(Untitled)

Entrepre2BeEntrepre2Be subscriber Posts: 1
edited February 2007 in Selecting a Business
My name`s Vin, hello !! So I have an idea for a business in nyc and I`d love to hear your expert opinions regarding it.. The concept- a retail establishment selling fresh juice and nuts ..(what I consider nature`s perfect snack).  What do you think? I do have a business background (accounting and recently online marketing for a 350million dollar co.).  Have been a health nut for years as well..Now I understand I will need to find the right location, but with nyc rents being so high (450 sq ft for 5k a month), I`m not quite sure how I`ll be able to sell enough of the product to be profitable.    I did read the nightmare coffee shop article http://www.slate.com/id/2132576/  and it does have me frightened, but I`m an entrepreneur and as long as I`m breathing I will desire opening my own biz.  Feedback would be much appreciated. 
Entrepre2Be2007-2-18 12:6:7

Comments

• stonesledgestonesledge subscriber Posts: 608 Silver Level Member
    If you are passionate about this , that is a good start. I myself am not into juices and nuts...but sounds like an original concept. I guess it depends on how many folks are into this in your area. Have you done market research?
  • stonesledgestonesledge subscriber Posts: 608 Silver Level Member
    P.S. Maybe if I did eat juice and nuts I would be healthier...something to think about!
    Erin
  • Entrepre2BeEntrepre2Be subscriber Posts: 1
    Hey stones, thanks for your reply.. I would like to position myself in an area that has natural health food stores/restaurants.. there are several in the city.  My target customer is educated, health conscious, could be young or old.. I`m not certain how I could go about doing market research.. 
    Steve,An incredibly insightful post.  Thanks for taking the time to write it!  To answer the question about what my passion is..well since the age of 15 (I`m 32 now) I`ve desired having my own business.storefront.. the whole 9.  Furthermore, I have a passion for helping people be healthier (whether it be excercise/eating healthier/vegetarianism).   Sharing space with another retailer and starting really small is definitely a viable option and it`s something I`m considering.  But I do have some capital and good credit.  I`d like to define starting small as finding a storefront of let`s say 400-500 sqft., space that I can call my own and have the flexibility to make decisions without having a partner such as grocery store have an objection.  I feel as if I will need the space as well.. while nuts are small, I would like to stock a great variety.  Along with a variety of different fruits.  So storage space for inventory will be needed.I`ll agree with you Steve, situating myself in the right area with the right amount of foot traffic is essential, now if I can find the right landlord!
  • KittyKatGraphicsKittyKatGraphics subscriber Posts: 0
    If you could get a spot in Penn Station that would be great. I remember
    many nights having to eat McDonalds on my train rides home because i
    wasn`t in the mood for a smoothie shake, and there weren`t many other
    healthy selections there. It`s been a few years since my commuter days,
    but plenty of foot traffic at Penn! Good luck...i would love a place to grab
    a healthy snack instead of settling for Starbuck`s low-fat chemical filled
    stuff when i am hungry and need a boost.
    Hey, Craig, I am in the process of finding out exactly  how the FDA regulates fresh squeezed juice retailers, I hope they`re not too harsh-I love the cart idea; I see the idea developing from my initial concept.  The one problem I see with it is I don`t feel I can do a cart year round.. NY winters can be brutal (looking outside my window for confirmation..lol).  Kat, I work in the Penn station area, and there are many places where you can buy fresh juices now, even the delis have juicers.  It doesn`t make me feel great knowing I`m competing with these delis as they`re open all hours and are a one stop place for people to shop.  Competition`s part of life though, isn`t it..
    Ok, so you gentlemen definitely have me thinking.. I`m still not sure if I can do the juicer on wheels idea, but it`s worth exploring.  I mean who wouldn`t want the winters off? ?  It sounds like fun.  My areas of concern, I can think of one area in which I`d like to do something like this- but I`m not sure what sort of regulations/fees are involved- I`ll find out.  Also , I`d also need running water (for cleanliness).  I`ll let you know what I find out!  Thankss! v
  • firedupfiredup subscriber Posts: 0
    Hi VinQuick Question?What is Your Why for wanting to have a juice and nut shop?What do you believe is your purpose in life?You sound like a sharp guy with a lot of energy. I am correctin saying that?Do you have a game plan in which you want this business upand running?Have you consider having your business on-line (LOW OVER-HEAD)?You are a champion!!!George and Phil Duhart
    Hey firedup, I want to make a community healthier, that`s just what i`ve always wanted.. I`m waiting for the day where i`ll be able to see mcdonalds franchises shutting down because of lack of business.  They`re just ruining the health of so many people. I don`t think i`m particularly sharp, I`m just a new yorker who really wants to succeed  Many people have doubted/ looked down upon on me in my life, I want to prove to the world (and myself) that I`m a winner.  I`m well aware this sounds cheesy, but it`s my truth.Thanks for your encouraging words, I really appreciate it.v
    Entrepre2Be2007-2-20 22:14:39
  • tworiverssoapstworiverssoaps subscriber Posts: 0
    The local farmer`s markets would be a great outlet to test your products. You could keep your day job and work your business on weekends & evenings until you`ve built up a client base, etc.
    Alternatively, what about renting a kiosk somewhere like Chelsea Market or perhaps space in a hotel lobby? 
    Jennifer