WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Marketing A Blog

ConsultnowConsultnow subscriber Posts: 1
edited May 2008 in Marketing
   A consultant that has assisted my firm in raising equity capital, has a really good blog that gives small business owners information for everything from marketing to fundraising to developing quality strategic alliances.  I have told him that in exchange for some M&A help that I would provide some marketing services for his firm`s blog.  I am a little out of my depth but I really need his assistant (the guy is a beast as it relates to business development).  Can someone advise on the best way to get substantial traffic to the blog, please take a look at it www.developmentstyles.com and let me know.

Comments

• Options
    TexaderoTexadero subscriber Posts: 0
    Blogging is a very interactive activity. You can suggest that your client include links in posts to other blogs. Go out and comment on related blogs in their industry.
    The ProBlogger blog has some great articles on blog promotion.Texadero5/20/2008 2:02 PM
  • Options
    DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141

1. Get FREE publicity. Write a press release and let a press release distribution service like PRWeb.com distribute it.

2. Write articles, and submit them to The 10 Best Article Directories: http://www.startupnation.com/forums/10312/1/1

3. Submit your blog to as many of the top blog directories as possible. Here`s a great list of blog directories: http://www.searchenginejournal.com/20-e ... g-to/5998/

4. Set up a feed on MyYahoo.com, so that your blog gets spidered regularly by Yahoo.

5. Get into Google News. If you write articles and submit them to AmericanChronicle.com, this will get your blog into Google News.

6. Use Ping-0-Matic to ping blog directories. Do this every time you publish: http://www.pingomatic.com

7. Set-up an RSS feed URL that people can subscribe to: http://www.eblogtemplates.com/how-to-se ... n-blogger/

I could go on forever with different things that you can do to promote your blog. But these seven are more than enough to get you started.

Dale King
  • Options
    lovehappenslovehappens subscriber Posts: 3
    HI Dale,
    Great knowledge on the blogging. I have also been told that if you want traffic to visit other people`s blogs and link them.  I`m having a new blog built right now but my blog meanwhile is at http://www.lovesimplyhappens.blogspot.com
    My new blog is going to be very different. I am on a learning curve with the blog situation. I`ll let you all know when my new blog is up so you can compare it to this one.
  • Options
    DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
    HI Dale,
    Great knowledge on the blogging. I have also been told that if you want traffic to visit other people`s blogs and link them. 

Thank you very much, lovehappens!

Linking to other blogs will only benefit  you if it`s an inbound link. Relevancy and traffic are key factors at well. A blog that doesn`t get any traffic and isn`t relevant to your blog really won`t do you much good. 

Dale King
  • Options
    kathleenfasanellakathleenfasanella subscriber Posts: 0
    Okay, so if I understand this correctly, you want us to do the work for him that you`re supposed to be doing? Lol. Whatever works...
    I blog for a living. Problogger is good resource but it`s not what it once was. Also, commenters tend to be really low level themselves and it`s hard to get advice from people who really are doing it successfully. Some are snarky and jealous. Also, most visitors are looking for ways to earn residual income through ads etc and that`s not appropriate to your client.
    First of all, this guy needs a real site. That template is a real eyesore; I`d take this firm much less seriously. If they`re not with it with their blog medium, the impression is they`re not with it in their area of expertise either. While some do make a go of Blogger, they were established there before it became passe. It lends the impression he`s not committed. If he`s not committed to the effort, why would his visitors be?
    I recommend Word Press. Yeah, there`s other platforms, wonderful ones but the fact remains, Google likes WP best.
    Links: Where`s the guy`s main site? Where`s his email address? What blogs does he read? What resources are useful and pertain to his topic? If he`s worried about visitors clicking away, blogging isn`t for him. Many are annoyed by bloggers who are intellectually stingy. People should return to one`s site in part because links are there are a good resource.
    Stories, not lectures: I can get away with lecturing or pounding out advice articles because I have traction and have gained credibility with my visitors. Your client should be using stories. People like stories. He could then illustrate solutions (why his firm is a value).
    Participation: He can`t just post material and expect the droves to arrive. He must also participate on other blogs and forums (ahem, why isn`t he here?). Once people see him being useful elsewhere, they`re more likely to click through.
    That`s just for starters. He`s got a lot of work to do for now.