WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Music E-tailing Dropshippers

lincolnparklincolnpark subscriber Posts: 1
edited December 2007 in Business Planning
I am looking to launch an etailing business providing DJs with hardware and music production software but want to test the market response before purchasing anything in bulk. In order to do so I plan on dropshipping from wholesalers. I`ve called all of the manufacturers and have been directed to their distributors most of which do not have dropshipping. I have contacted one company that seems for now to be an endall supplier but the rates  the pricing is high but the company looks very unreliable on the surface. Does anyone know any reliable music equipment and software dropshipping companies? 

Comments

• NuevolutionNuevolution subscriber Posts: 30 Bronze Level Member
    Thats a tough one... have you tried Light and Sound? they are based in California.
    This is why I didn`t go into the Music Equipment sales industry. The only way you can profit is by buying at Wholesale from the manufacturers.
    Have you tried calling the following companies:
    1. Vestax
    2. Rane
    3. Gemini
    4. American DJ
    5. E-mu (Creative labs pro line)
    6. Roland
    7. Techniques (panasonic) ** a must to have on your list for all DJ`s***
    8. Numark
    9. Allan & Heath
    10. JBL pro sound
    11. Crown (the best amplifiers)
    12. FANE
    13. Denon
    Lincolnpark,
    The list goes on and on... I`ve been in the DJ industry for almost 18 years, and the prices are high, and banks are skeptical about giving you a loan. I gave you a list of companies that I feel are worth having on your list, As for the software, well it all depends who you`re targeting, DJ`s or Recording Studios. If you go towards the recording studios, you just opened another can of worms.. Now you have to carry brands such as Alesis, Behringer, Peavey, Pro-tools, Sonar (cakewalk), MIDI controllers, Patch Bays, Synthesizers, Controllers, and just too much.
    What are your intentions? who do you really want to target?
  • lincolnparklincolnpark subscriber Posts: 1
    Thanks for the post. I have contacted many of the manufacturers that youve named above namely Vestax, Rane, A. Audio, Numark, CME, Electrix as well as some software representatives for Alesis, Sonar. The company that I am trying to start up is geared towards DJs making the transition from analog to digital. As such, we plan on carrying many DVS products such as the Serato, Traktor Scratch, Torq interfaces as well as the accompanying software; Ms. Pinky, PCDJ Red, and the Mixlive software. We are also considering adding MIDI controllers and IPOD DJ products to the list....
    The thing is most of the manufacturers have referred me to wholesalers that do not dropship or if they do they will only dropship for a limited time. I am based out of Southern CA so I will chaeck Light and Sound. Is this pssl.com you are referring to?
  • NuevolutionNuevolution subscriber Posts: 30 Bronze Level Member
    CraigL,
    I don`t think he`s having problem with his target market.... the DJ industry has been growing drastically over the past decade, It is not what it used to be. Back in the Days, and I`m talking around 1985 or 1986 when I first started, it was hard to purchase DJ equipment. The only way you could afford it was 1. You had a job or 2. Parents had the cash.
    Now` a days, anyone can be a DJ. now you have beat counters and software that synchronizes the beats for you, where you don`t have to know much about mixing and the art of mixing.
    His Obstacle as I am reading is, funding... most of the distibutors.. do not drop ship and the manufacturers don`t want to help. His best bet is to ship on his own and find a place where they sell to him as whole sale. I know there was a place call StarDJ here in Southern CA... Downtown by that matter... email me.. I have friends in the industry