WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

New business

Missy12270Missy12270 subscriber Posts: 1
edited September 2007 in Business Planning
How can I start a new shoe business if I don`t have any experience in retail but I have a really good idea?

Comments

• CreadivCreadiv subscriber Posts: 1
    Start with creating a business plan.  If you can do this successfully start moving it around different areas in which you can acquire funding.  If your idea is strong enough and you have created a well prepared plan you are likely to find a partner or investor willing to help you get started.
  • LtresselLtressel subscriber Posts: 3
    CraigL is right.  Try getting a part-time job to get some experience. Understand the business that you are getting  into. People who open a restaurant have worked almost every position in the restaurant business. Dave Thomas, founder of Wendy`s worked as a buss boy at age 12 and worked his way up.Sam Walton worked at JC Penney in his teens and later became the biggest retailer in the world. Just food for thought to consider.LT
  • robertjrobertj subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    Working in a retail store will give you invaluable experience at the "ground level".  I would also look to connect with someone who has retail management experience. In the beginning you can "chat" over coffee. As you move forward, you may want/need to have them become a more active part of your team - on your advisory board or as a director.