WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

extending provisional patent application

ikendesignikendesign subscriber Posts: 1
edited April 2008 in Protecting Your Ideas
hi
i  filed a provisionalm patent application for a children`s camping product i designed . i have used the time and the "patent pending" protection to show my product to manufactureres with some great response. i even found a reliable  manufacturer who has created five factory prototypes at their expense and would like me to make some serious sales contacts.the problem is that  in three months my provisional application will be up and i need more time to show and develop  buisness contacts before deciding to invest the heavy money in a utility patent or not. is their a way to extend the protection of the provisional application or something similar both in the u.s and european union?
appreciate any solid advice
ken
ikendesign4/29/2008 12:56 AM

Comments

• Options
    studiocheriestudiocherie subscriber Posts: 6
    I feel your pain, having been there myself.  In my case, having gone through the utility patent process on my first product, I opted not to follow through after the provisional expired on the 2nd one.  There may be a solution for you though.  Search the USPTO site for something called an intent to convert from a provisional patent to utility.  You might just want to seach "converting a provisional patent."  I think that is the first thing your patent attny would file for you.  It puts the USPTO on notice that you are going to move forward, but the paperwork is not finished.  Now would be the time to meet with a patent attorney if you have not already.   You really do need one at this point.

Honestly, if I had it to do over.  I would have spent the money on marketing rather than the patent.  If you have money for both, great.  If not, you have to ask yourself what you will do with a container load of the coolest patented invention no one has ever heard of? 

I hope your product is a big hit and provides people with many happy memories of camping as a family!
  • Options
    patentandtrademarkpatentandtrademark subscriber Posts: 103
    you might consider a utility application and/or a PCT application.  don`t do it yourself.