WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Lessons from the Trenches

KrissaKrissa subscriber Posts: 1
edited March 2007 in Grab Bag
We are hosting an entrepreneurial seminar in Idaho in April.  As part of the marketing/buzz generation, we are idnetifying tips and lessons learned for those that have started/run a business.I thought I`d check and see if anyone has any tips they wish they had when they were getting ready to start.  Anyone?  Thanks!

Comments

• NuevolutionNuevolution subscriber Posts: 30 Bronze Level Member
    What kind of tips are you looking for? be more specific
  • KrissaKrissa subscriber Posts: 1
    What kind of tips?  Any. Some examples - When you started your business, did you do anything that could have been avoided if you had more information or if someone told you?  Are there things to be wary of or watch out for?  What do you when you don`t make a sale?  How do you handle problem customers?
    Here`s what I have collected and posted so far......
    # 42  What you don`t know could kill you.  # 41  Network with your peers.  # 40  Don`t think you`re always the smartest person in the room.   # 39  It will never happen unless you do it.# 38  Passion is a must.# 37  Be an executioner.  Ideas are worthless unless executed. # 36  When you are in a hole, stop digging.# 35  Don`t waste words to sound smart.  It`s ok to say `I don`t know`, then get to work to find the answer.# 34  Show up.  Don`t wait for an invitation.  Be proactive.  It shows your passion.# 33  Celebrate.  Have quick wins.# 32  You will make mistakes.  Fix them quickly.# 31  Don`t follow the leader.
    Am I missing crucial steps or lessons?  And yes, its a countdown.  What should be the number 1 tip or lesson?  I`m open to suggestions.
  • NuevolutionNuevolution subscriber Posts: 30 Bronze Level Member
    Well,
    Yes I did make lots of minor mistakes... Lesson Number 2. Don`t over promise and under deliver3. Don`t be afraid to say no or it can be done but it`s going to cost you a little bit more than what I quoted you for. 4. You are your own boss, do not let the customer boss you like you work for him. 5. Set your standards and expectations from the begining. 6. Do not be afraid to give input or suggestions when the customer is in doubt, you are the professional.. you make the decision for them and explain to them why.These were simple mistakes that can be avoided from the begining. If you follow these 5 golden rules.. you should have any problems closing any deal or project.
    I agree that networking is critical.  I think its a skill that people don`t recognize or know how to use.  We added a track in the workshops on how to network, with the goal being to move beyond the `elevator pitch` to the art of small talk and how best to present yourself, your idea and your company. I also like that you recognized mistakes will happen.  Thanks!  I will incorporate these into the list.
    Great list!  They hinge on action and you (the business owner/boss - the decision maker) taking an active role. It is easy to take a step back and let the customer drive the relationship.  We can forget at times that they came to us for the expertise/professional opinion/work/etc.  It needs to be a balanced relationship between the business and the customer.
    Thanks!