WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Clarification on Inbound-Outbound links

kjohrikjohri subscriber Posts: 10
OK -So I have read about these links in some of the earlier posts -
Just want to make sure I understand this correctly -
In bound link is a link from one page to another page (within my site)
and outbound would be from a page on my site to another site (in a similar field)
Is this correct?

Comments

• Options
    Thanks Janie!
    Whats PR? How can it be monitored to track how much it is?
  • Options
    DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
    Is this correct?

No, that`s not correct. An inbound link is a link from a site outside of your own site.

Dale King
    DaleKing6/20/2008 8:51 AM
  • Options
    Whats PR? How can it be monitored to track how much it is?

Google`s PageRank is an algorithm used by Google to assign scores to websites based on the number and quality of other websites that link to it. The purpose of PageRank is to give an indication of the relative importance of a particular site. Generally speaking, sites with a higher PageRank will appear in the search results ahead of those sites with lower  page ranks. Therefore, a high PageRank is very important and desireable.

The scores assigned (or at least the scores which are made visible to those outside of Google) are in the 0 to 10 range, where 0 is very bad and 10 is exceptionally good. For example, a PageRank of 4 is considered good and is achievable for most sites. A PageRank of 5 or 6 is extremely hard to achieve, but possible. And a PageRank of 7-10 is generally achieved only by sites that are household names.

To answer your other two questions, PageRank doesn`t cost anything. And if you don`t want to download Google`s toolbar, you can check your PageRank here:

http://www.pagerankchecker.biz/

Dale King
    DaleKing6/20/2008 9:23 AM
  • Options
    vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    The other thing to remember when looking at PR... especially with the Google tool bar...
    the PR # shown may not be the real PR of the site. That is, Google only up dates PR periodically, it is not a real time measure.

So PR should only be used as a general indicator not an absolute indicator of a web site PR or popularity.

~Roland
    vwebworld6/20/2008 9:32 AM
  • Options

Is this correct?    No, that`s not correct. An inbound link is a link from a site outside of your own site.  Dale King

So how do I get inbound links established? What incentive does the other site have if its in the same field?
    For outbound links, do I need to permission from the other site?
  • Options
    vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    Remember in-bound links are links from other related web sites, including forums, directories, blogs, article sites, social networking sites (youtube, squidoo......) etc.

You have some control over links from forums (depending upon the forum layout and rules) by the signature you use and posts you make on the forum. The same can apply to links from blogs.

You have amost complete control over links from social networking sites like squidoo, youtube... because you create a page on those sites.

Directories - again, you submit your site to be listed on the directory.

For links from other web sites - if it the site is related to yours similar topic/content or complementary to yours (their visitors may be interested in you site and your visitors interested in their site), but not you are not competing for the same customer... you both have an interest in exchanging links.  Another incentive is simply to get more traffic... if you site has some significant traffic that is a "selling point".

~Roland

vwebworld6/20/2008 9:55 AM
  • Options
      So how do I get inbound links established? What incentive does the other site have if its in the same field? For outbound links, do I need to permission from the other site?

There are numerous ways to get quality, relevant inbound links.  I`ll give you my two favorite methods. The first way is value of content. For example, I write articles. If your site has interesting, valuable content, not only will other sites want to link to you, they will also refer your site to other similar sites that will want to link to you as well.

So how do get interesting, valuable content? Well, you can write it yourself like I do, or you can have someone write it for you. For example, elance.com. Another option is to import content from other websites and article directories. Generally speaking, you can take content from article directories without permission, unless the directory explicitly says you can`t. However, don`t ever take content from someone else`s website without getting permission first. That`s stealing.

The second method I use to get quality inbound links is with my traffic and PageRank. I have a very impressive PR 5 website with good traffic numbers. If you have decent traffic and good PR, other sites will climb over themselves wanting to link to you to piggyback off your PR and traffic - thus improving their own traffic numbers and PR.

Dale King 
    DaleKing6/20/2008 8:26 PM