WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

What to look for when seeking a Web host

2»

Comments

• Options
    sddreamweaverssddreamweavers subscriber Posts: 5 Member
    In your opinion, how critical is dedicated server? I am not going to have more than 100 pages starting out.

Dedicated servers are only good if you`re getting insane amounts of hits a day (Over 100,000 unique visitors), you can justify the cost of a dedicated server, or the hosting company has told you your shared server is eating up all the other shared website customer resources.

SDdreamweaver,
    That is not true.. you don`t have to have a dedicated server
    you can still host a domain name on a dedicated IP (you have to if you install an SSL). Rule of thumb number one; if you plan on starting a web hosting business, never host more than 50 domain names on an IP.
    Now anyone with IT experience or knowledge can disagree with me because in fact you can have unlimited amount of domain names pointing to one IP... But this is what separates a Class A Web Hosting Server from the aplus.nets, the Godaddy, the IpowerWebs.
    You can either offer Class A web hosting which is a little bit more pricier... lets say.. a regular Godaddy web hosting goes for $4.99 per month... On a class A Web Host expect to pay $9.99 per month.
    I have 3 Linux web hosting servers and for the most part, I charge 3.00 extra a month for a dedicated IP. Since I buy the IP`s in Bulk I`m able to pass the discount down to my customers.
    The reason why many web hosting companies are so cheap is because they host thousands of domain names, on one single IP.
    Some of the things that I`ve experienced when hosting on one single IP is that, even when you enter... your url in the address bar, it redirects you to someone elses "someone on the web server" url.
    By keeping the number of domain names down on an IP, it allows me to trouble-shoot, offer High Quality, and most of all reliable web hosting service. yes it can be $4.00 more expensive than Godaddy or Aplus... but the services is more personal, when you call for technical support you are greeted by your name, instead of "Give me your account number" and "can you verify who you are?", and what was your first dogs  name, or what is your favorite movie?
    The funniest line is when, they make you identify yourself and finally they say "May I call you by your name?

I was referring not to a web hosting business but someone who is starting up their own business with a simple cart or web page that will more than likely get minimal traffic right out of the gate.  It doesn`t make sense to host a website on a $300-$500 dedicated server if you only have under 5K of traffic a month.
  • Options
    NuevolutionNuevolution subscriber Posts: 30 Bronze Level Member
    Of course it doesn`t make sense, but you can still host a single domain name on a dedicated IP. You can get a good web hosting account with 5GB and a dedicated IP for about 12.99 or 19.99.
    Now you might be saying "That`s alot for web hosting" but the truth is, what would you rather have 100 people on a web server, with and exclusive IP? or 5 thousand on a web server? and on a shared IP?
    Now days, if you shop smart and you know what you`re looking for, you can get a good web hosting server maybe in the 20GB, 512MB, and 10MBPS of Unmetered bandwidth, meaning you have up to 760GB, before the server starts bogging down for about $49.99 but this is only if you want to go the VPS, Virtual Private Server or DDS Dedicated Dymanic Server.
    It basically comes down to what you can afford and how much you`re willing to pay for your web hosting. To me, anything in the $4.00 - $8.00 hosting is garbage. Although, they might be good to get your first web site off the ground and establish your name, the problems begin when you need technical support or you want something as simple as a php.ini configuration or an httaccess or a simple CGI script to work.
    Many web hosting companies, provide you with the hosting but will not install any third party applications for the customer UNLESS, they are packaged with Web Hosting Software.
  • Options
    kjohrikjohri subscriber Posts: 10
    Thanks for some great points and numbers. This will ensure if the numbers from the vendor are reasonable or not..
  • Options
    domminosdomminos subscriber Posts: 0
    When choosing a host one should look for the reliability,reputation of the host provider.By looking through the user reviews one can get idea about the support that the host provides to its customers.The host should satisfy the customer's demands without ant hidden charges.I chose my host, 9cubehosting.com based on the above aspects.