Website development question

kjohrikjohri Posts: 10subscriber
Hi All,
I plan to have a geographically specific web based business. Does it matter where the hosting, development is done if the traffic/clientale is in another region?
In other words, could I have a site developed, hosted and maintained in US for an Asian market specific business?
Any pros and cons?
Thanks,
KJ

Comments

• VideographyVideography Posts: 6subscriber
    Not really.  It`s the WORLD wide web, so the location of the server is generally irrelevant.  If it`s on another continent, you may run into some latency or slow links in the path between the server and the user, but it doesn`t happen often.
  • DaleKingDaleKing Posts: 141subscriber
    Not really.  It`s the WORLD wide web, so the location of the server is generally irrelevant.  If it`s on another continent, you may run into some latency or slow links in the path between the server and the user, but it doesn`t happen often.

I agree with Steve.

Dale King
  • kjohrikjohri Posts: 10subscriber
  • sddreamweaverssddreamweavers Posts: 5subscriber
    Hi All,
    I plan to have a geographically specific web based business. Does it matter where the hosting, development is done if the traffic/clientale is in another region?
    In other words, could I have a site developed, hosted and maintained in US for an Asian market specific business?
    Any pros and cons?
    Thanks,
    KJ

The only drawback is if you offer not only a lot of image based content or items to download (files/music/documents/etc) and your customer base is in the Far East or South Asia the download times can be longer.  If your customers will be in Africa (specifically Southern Africa) I would strongly suggest getting hosting in South Africa/Johannesburg.
    In my last `worker bee job` one of my jobs was to deliver different web content all over the world and some countries aren`t really up to par when it comes to North America, Europe, or the Far East`s standards of internet quality.sddreamweavers6/14/2008 12:14 AM
    Thanks Aaron for the info!
  • CarverCarver Posts: 0subscriber
    Hi
    Thanks guys even I want to ask the same question but I have got my my answer in this discussion  only. Thanks a lot.
    Carver6/16/2008 7:34 AM
    Thats a good point Jeff.
    Can you give more details about robot.txt. Is this generated by the web designer?
    Thanks

• infiltainfilta Posts: 8subscriber
    I agree, I`d say you should host your site as close to your target audience as possible. If your TA is in a certain city, even, try to host your site in this city. There are other things to consider about a web host, of course, but with other parameters being equal, stick to the geography of your audience.
  • sddreamweaverssddreamweavers Posts: 5subscriber
    Thats a good point Jeff.
    Can you give more details about robot.txt. Is this generated by the web designer?
    Thanks

If you want a model of a solid robots.txt file check out Wikipedia.  They have indeed run into all the good and bad bots on the web.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/robots.txt
    Thats a good point Jeff.
    Thanks

If you want a model of a solid robots.txt file check out Wikipedia.  They have indeed run into all the good and bad bots on the web.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/robots.txt

Great! Will Have a look at it.
    Thanks all for the great info!