WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Start up Funding Made Easy

equsionequsion subscriber Posts: 1
edited February 2009 in Startup Funding
I wanted to start this thread to help people find funding for new business ideas. My company specializes in just that. I wanted to know what some of the issues people were having with finding funding.  Are you of you just getting rejected by the banks or is it a matter of you need a better buisness plan?   What is the main obstical in todays market? 

Comments

• Options
    robertjrobertj subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    Acquiring Capital for a business isn`t "easy" - but it isn`t rocket science nor brain surgery either.
    We beleive that almost anyone can acquire capital, but virtually everyone needs:

A Plan (not a business plan)
    Preparation
    A Process 
    Persistence

While there is are many details in each of these areas - many of the folks we see have skipped to number 4 because they beleive that the idea is so valuable that all they have to do is "find the right investor" .

• Options
    Certainly having some assets makes things a bit simpler. Cash is, of course, the most liquid, flexible and definable asset. There are others that can & will make the situation more attractive to capital sources. For example - customers.

On the other hand, I`ve observed many an entrepreneur who because they used their own money and had a lot of it - never developed the disciplines which are critical to creating a successful (profitable) company.
  • Options
    The professional investor, who really understands the entrepreneurial side, seeks a balance somewhere between:
    1. The entrepreneur has nothing invested, is thus not committed and can "walk away when things get tough.

and

2. The entrepreneur is in so deep that their personal finances will be a distraction and not allow them to fully focus on the business or worse cause them to seek other means of generating income.
  • Options
    Thanks.

Balance in life - so "simple" in concept, yet challenging in execution!
  • Options
    MattTurpinMattTurpin subscriber Posts: 22
    I think the root of the problem is that people who are looking to start their own businesses probably aren`t happy in their current jobs. You have unhappy people who see a light at the end of the tunnel. It`s only natural to want to run instead of walk. We`ve been in hell for so long, and heaven is finally in sight. That`s my situation, and I`m sure I`m not alone. Though, I`m satisfying the planning and preparation steps 110%. I`m unsure what exactly the "process" step entails, but as I`m not leaping foolishly into anything, I aim to fulfill it as best I can. I want my business ASAP, but I won`t ruin my future to get it. It`s hard being eager and intelligent at the same time. Sometimes I find I alternate.
    MattTurpin2/21/2009 2:57 PM
  • Options
    MattTurpinMattTurpin subscriber Posts: 22
    I`m reminded of a scene from The Mummy, starring Brendan Fraser and Rachel Weiss.
    Zombie people are closing in on the heroes while Rachel`s character Evee is trying to translate some heiroglyphics. Brendan`s character Rick says something to the effect of: "We need to go now," and Evee replies, "Patience is a virtue..." to which Rick wisely answers, "Not right now it isn`t."Patience is a virtue. Too much patience is a vice. Sometimes, it`s better to act fast and think later. Hamlet learned this all too late. 
  • Options
    Matt,
    Good point - but the key is having the wisdom (or trusted advisors) so you will be clear on when to apply which virtue.
    robertj2/21/2009 3:54 PM