WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

(Untitled)

JobYouDeserveJobYouDeserve subscriber Posts: 11
edited September 2006 in Business Planning
Have you ever had a business idea that involved a company much bigger than yourself?
Here`s the one question I`m struggling with: How can a solo entrepreneur boost the revenue of a company that makes millions each year?
I told you it was a challenge.  I welcome any ideas, no matter how outlandish. 
Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    oneloveonelove subscriber Posts: 0

Have you ever had a business idea that involved a company much bigger than yourself?
    Here`s the one question I`m struggling with: How can a solo entrepreneur boost the revenue of a company that makes millions each year?
    I told you it was a challenge.  I welcome any ideas, no matter how outlandish. 
    Thank you!

It is an interesting subject.  I am going through a similar situation right now.
    I already help multi million dollar businesses make more profit with less hassles as a micro company.  No problem there.
    But now I am in discussions with a multi-billion dollar company that wants to sposnor some of my efforts. (we have many of the same clients) 
    My challenge comes from a matter of scale....what is the right dollar figure to ask for?  Is $50,000 too much or is $500,000 too little? 
    They are interested in sponsoring some of the services we will offer, but we need to raise start-up funds for the whole project....a little under $300K.
    The sponsor routinely spends more than that for a single advertisment and they advertise a lot.  (This is a very well known name.)
    They will recieve some added revenue benefits from the project as well as having some image enhancement marketing opportunities.
    I am dealing with it by staying in communication with them and having my contact review and guide me with my written proposals. 
    If we can work it out and it is successful, they are interested in expanding it and will consider co-branding.
    This can take me from a 3 person operation to a 5 location international business in 2-3 years.
    It is a fun challenge! 

• Options
    DesignIdeas and onelove:
    Thank you very much for your quick, insightful responses.  I apologize for not providing more information...
    This business idea would cost very little to implement.  It is more of a cross-promotion idea.  Usually small business do things like this to help each other.  There is just one little difference: I`m a solo entrepreneur, and this is a multi million dollar company.
    Congrats on finding a sponsor.  I`m thinking of other benefits of this partnership that indirectly increase sales. 
  • Options
    SolidGrndSolidGrnd subscriber Posts: 11
    I am not sure if I am reading this correctly...so bear with me...but I am kind of going through similar in that I have an idea...that COULD be huge...and would definitely benefit everything from the LARGEST company that I work with...to the itty-bitty single person who needs me...but how to get connected with the BIG GUY!!!?? I actually was just speaking with my SCORE counselor about this very thing because I want to get attached to one of the local children`s hospitals...it is BIG...established...and I am...well...just me...that`s it...just one person! So how do I explain to this ENORMOUS establishment that me...just me...will be able to change things in their BIG world. Well...that is just it...I know I have something they could use...not just that...but they need it! So I put together a bullet proof presentation...I call and ask for a meeting with the powers that be...."Give me 10 minutes of your valuable time...and I will show you how one small non-profit can save you hundreds of hours of your doctors valuable time, your researchers valuable time, and your patients valuable time. Give me 10 minutes to show you that our services will make your services all that much more valuable to the community." (this is where the begging begins if they aren`t listening)
    Then...I get the meeting...I put on my most business-like business suit...and I pull myself together...and basically SHOW them why they need...JUST ME! Obviously...over time...JUST ME will become me and this person and this person and a couple of volunteers...but in the beginning...it is JUST ME. But even though it is just me...I know that the services I provide will help even the LARGEST organization.
    Before I had my son, I spent a lot of time in business-to-business sales...and it was so intimidating making that first call to the BIG GUYS. I always felt kind of silly...like why would they even accept my call..let alone take time out of their day to meet with little ol` me! The reality...it usually took numerous calls to get that meeting...but eventually I would...and if I believed in what I was telling them...9 times out of 10...I got the sale. It isn`t so much about size...it is about a need...and if you know they have the need...and you know you can fill it...you just need to figure out how to get in there to SHOW them that you can fufill that need for them...regardless of size!
    Opps...rambled...hope that helped!
  • Options
    "and if I believed in what I was telling them...9 times out of 10...I got the sale. It isn`t so much about size...it is about a need...and if you know they have the need...and you know you can fill it...you just need to figure out how to get in there to SHOW them that you can fufill that need for them...regardless of size!"
    I completely agree.  Believing in the idea is key!
    Thank you very much.  Good luck selling your idea too!
  • Options
    DragginbuttDragginbutt subscriber Posts: 0
    SolidGrnd, your first mistake is you are thinking like a small business.  NEVER let them know size etc.  Creativity knows no boundaries.  But the minute you let them know you are a one person shop, you just put yourself into a box.
    Put your plan together with THEIR interests in mind, if the green light comes on, then expand if you need to... but do not limit your horizons when walking in the door.
  • Options
    SolidGrndSolidGrnd subscriber Posts: 11
    Dragginbutt....the reality is...that regardless of whether I tell them the truth or not...eventually in our relationship together they would figure it out. And as I stated before...it doesn`t matter what size you are...what matters is you believe in what you are providing enough to make them believe you can do it...with one person...or 500 people...YOU can do it!
  • Options
    DragginbuttDragginbutt subscriber Posts: 0
    That is th egreat thing about small business.  You can challenge yourself... and limit yourself at the same time.  It really comes down to how big a bite you are willing to swollow, and hoh much moxie you can serve up. 
    I agree that being honest is the only way to establish a relationship with a client.  But I also think that offering too much up front can also be a mistake.  I don`c consider that withholding... but if they don`t ask...   The key is to have a brilliant idea, and show them the value of your relationship. 
    I certainly hope that some thought is given to trade secrets and intelectual property rights... maybe a non disclosure/non compete document may be in order in some cases. 
    Either way, good luck on your endeavors