WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Total newbie wanting to build a site

ocanycocanyc subscriber Posts: 1
Hi everyone. I hope I`ve come to the right place for advice. I basically want to know whats the steps in creating a website. For example I know one has to decide on shopping cart software. What else does one have to decide on what to purchase to run a site. I`ll be selling electronics in the beginning most likely. Things to consider and costs are what I`m looking for in advice. TIA.

Comments

• Options
    ToddFToddF subscriber Posts: 3
    I suggest you go with a reliable developer that knows how to setup carts and has built a successful online shop for others. You spend your time on the business, the brand, lining up deals, etc. You cant do everything.
  • Options
    vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    There are a few posts on SUN about website development. What you need depends upon what your goals are for your website, what you want and need it to do (functionally).
    There is a great desire and tendency to want to do it yourself, and there are many programs and bundled website builders that can help you do it yourself. The important question is where is your time best spent? Learning to create, creating, and maintaining a website or devoting your time to growing, improving your business and providing customer service?
    Like any of the business decisions you make, there are trade-offs, pros and cons to your decision. Less up-front cost for DIY versus potentially better results using a web designer.
    At the very least, you might think about getting some quotes to create your site. Through the quote process you may discover what you need for your site even if you do not end up hiring a web designer.
    ~Rolandvwebworld2007-6-29 9:5:30
  • Options
    I guess I should be more specific. For example a service like this:http://www.monstercommerce.com/index.html?kbid=1315Does anyone have experience with them? Is this the only kind of service I would need? Yes I dont want to spend my whole time developing, minor cosmetics which I believe some of these services provide tools for that. I just want to get a site up, ready to take orders.
  • Options
    Monstercommerce is a bundled ecommerce solution. A bundled solution has its pros and cons. Typically a bundled solution has some restrictions  on design and certainly on moving your site to another web host.
    I think the monstercommerce is a little expensive... the "pro" version is $999/yr.
    Alternatively you could get a Zen Cart site hosted for around $90/yr, the solftware is free. Other costs a would be for a merchant account or PayPal to process credit cards.
    If you wanted to change from the default Zen Cart look you could use a template - usually around $150 to $160. 
    ~Roland
  • Options
    ethnicommethnicomm subscriber Posts: 1
    osCommerce is another option. You will also need a domain name, host, payment gateway, SSL certificate and a shipping and returns method.
  • Options
    Btw, thanks for the info. Its like I need step by step advice I may go the Zencart or Oscommerce route. I mean I am technically inclined somewhat. Can anyone tell me what would be the easier choice. Is using this software sort of what the bundle ecommerce solutions would offer minus the other stuff?
  • Options
    Two things: I have created, used, and manage both osCommerce and Zen Cart ecommerce website... at this time I recommend using Zen Cart over osCommerce because it has more features included and is now more css based.
    It may be easier to use a bundled solution (monster, yahoo stores, there are others too) that is what they are designed for, to enable people to start-up fast with minimal technical involvement. The drawback is living with some design limitations and your ability to move your site/online store should you want to at a later date.
    ~Roland
  • Options