WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Questions about accountants, etc...

KemerKemer subscriber Posts: 1
First off, I`m new here. Hello everyone. I`m in the middle of starting my business. It`s an online business that ideally, will mostly run itself once it`s set up. Aside from some marketing/pr work. I did all the up front work. Research, product development, data collection, budgeting, etc. Or at least I thought I did. The backstory for those interested:This was supposed to be a startup that would cost me both a minimal amount of time and money. I was planning on financing everything myself. Well, I`m obviously new to this, because I`ve experienced a number of unforseen variables that have resulted in additional costs (somewhat prepared for) and A LOT of additional time in getting things up and running. With that said, I`m totally up for the challenge. But I`m keeping a steady 40 hour work week job at the same time I`m developing the business. And it`s taking much, much longer than expected. Nowon to my question. I am pretty sure I`m at the point I need an accountant. I`m officially legally registered as a S Corporation. And all the laws, rules, regulations, codes, etc... are very burdensome and difficult to understand. I initially thought I could manage keeping the books on my own until it came to tax time, at which point I`d secure a "once a year accountant." I`m pretty sure I completely missed the mark on that. I don`t know if anyone can suggest a good business accountant or not... but what I`m really interested in hearing any information that might be helpful in finding, keeping, securing, etc... one. I honestly have no concept of how they work. I`ve always done my personal taxes on my own and never really had a need for one. Can someone inform me of as much as possible... from costs, to expectations, etc, etc, etc...?Thank you all for help in advance. I look forward to hearing from you.

Comments

• PiperTaxPiperTax subscriber Posts: 5
    You`re right. S-Corps are the structure that easily has the most accounting and legal costs accompanying it. Luckily, many (most?) small accounting practices do bookkeeping.As to recommending a specific one, I`ve heard good things about Gina Gwozdz. She`s a CPA in Texas, but from what I gather she has clients all over the country.
    Absolutely agree, CrossCountry. My practice (tax only, not bookkeeping) is certainly not limited geographically. I`d say that`s pretty common from the demographic you`d get at SUN or other similar forums.
    Head over to Taxalmanac.org though, and you`ll see something quite different. Many practitioners with local-only businesses, no websites, etc. That`s the only reason I even mentioned it, *shrug.*
    Linda, you`re probably right as to our businesses complementing each other well. For the time being, however, I`m not really taking on more clients. I`m already more or less maxed out for tax season.
    I`m currently working primarily on promoting my tax guide for new entrepreneurs and creating other (relatively) passive revenue streams for the other 9 months of the year.
    Regards,
    Mike PiperPiperTax2007-9-28 12:29:26
    Thanks Linda.  I think I may not have explained very clearly. My book isn`t about how to create passive income streams. It`s about taxes for sole proprietors. (And, for me, the goal is for it to become a passive revenue generator.)And yes, I`ll be sure to keep people posted on how it goes.