WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Partnership Pitch

kustomkaninekustomkanine subscriber Posts: 4
edited January 2007 in Marketing
I am thinking about starting a program to help homeless dogs called
"Rags to Rhinestones." Below is my pitch to local humane societies and
rescues. Please let me know what you think of this idea and if it would
be beneficial to both parties:

I am starting a new program to help homeless dogs in my area and am
wondering if you would be interested. I currently create custom dog
clothing and would love to provide a dog that is in urgent need of
adoption with a custom coat, tee or hoodie. My hope is that by wearing
a custom piece of clothing that fits the dog`s personality, this dog
would stand out and get noticed by adopters that might otherwise pass
him by.

Please review my website at: www.KustomKanine.com
You may contact me directly at: 678-354-5799 or email me at: katie@kustomkanine.com

Thank you for your time!

- Katie Shellhorse

Comments

• Options
    pmccordpmccord subscriber Posts: 1
    kustomkanine,
    You have the seeds of good idea, but you might want to think in broader terms.  Approach your prospects with your idea, but add to it bringing in the local paper or a local tv station. (of course, no radio as they can`t see your creations).  You can accomplish a number of things for all three parties.  For yourself, of course, publicity and if done right, continuing weekly publicity, as well as enhanced image from being associated with the other parties.  For the rescue or humane society, publicity and a home for a dog.  For the newspaper or station, community involvement, goodwill and looking like they have a heart.  For a dog--life.  A win for everyone, especially the dog.
    Then, once you have one up and running, go on to the town down the road. 
    Your cost--you must be willing to contribute on a very regular basis--weekly if at all possible.  Go tv if you have the chance.  Pick a cute, cuddelly photogenic dog.  Make sure the spot recognizes all three "sponsors"--your company, the society or rescure and the newspaper/tv station.  The paper or station might try to kinda cut you out by simply mentioning something like "hoodie by kustomkanine."  You want kustomkanine to be a sponsor (not a financial sponsor--your sponsorship is the clothing--and remeber, the tv station or newspaper doesn`t have hard money in the deal either).
    Then, once you have the spots up and running, use the fact that you work with the SPCA and XYZ tv station known to everybody.  The love and respect people have for the SPCA and the image and goodwill of the tv station "rubs" off on you as someone who works with them, giving you immediate creiblilty.pmccord2007-1-9 15:6:47
  • Options
    kustomkaninekustomkanine subscriber Posts: 4
    Thanks for the great feedback. I have taken your great advice and am going to  contact my local newspapers and tv stations. I have also rewritten my proposal. Any more feedback is greatly appreciated:I am starting a new program to help homeless dogs in my area and your dog rescue is the perfect match. I currently create custom dog clothing and will provide a dog that is in urgent need of adoption with a donated custom coat, tee or hoodie. By wearing a custom piece of clothing that fits the dog`s personality, this dog will stand out and get noticed by adopters that might otherwise pass him by. Please contact me about participating in this free program to benefit thehomeless dogs at your rescue. 
  • Options
    pmccordpmccord subscriber Posts: 1
    Katie,
    One more thing--when you send your letter to the media, find out exactly who to send it to and then follow up with a phone call.  They are often busy and just don`t get around to calling, so you have to follow up.  If the person works at a newspaper and has a colume that is due on Wednesday, call on Thursday, Friday or Monday, don`t call the day before or the day their colume is due because they`ll probably be busy.  Likewise, if you are calling a producer at a tv station who is responsible for the news, look to call at a time when they are probably not racing around trying to get the show on the air.  I realize it`s hard to figure out when their dead times are, but if you can, you`ll stand a much greater chance of getting them and getting them when they`ll actually listen.  If you catch them at a bad time, the only thing they`ll be concerned about is getting you off the phone.