WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Internet ! Any chance for a novice?

kaaykaay subscriber Posts: 1
edited May 2007 in Selecting a Business
Hello everyone,
I work with a government agency for about 10yrs. I do not see myself doing the samething for the next 5yrs. I have a degree in Political Science and in my late 30s.
From the above its obvious I have very little knowledge of the internet world. However, I want to go into private venture.
Can anyone advise me in the aspect of the internet buiness I can venture into. I`m ready to purse any part time course if its call for. I have very little saves which I`m ready to invest, but this is not much
I look forward to your advise.
Kaay 

Comments

• kaaykaay subscriber Posts: 1
    CraigL,
    Thanks for the suggestion.
    How can I use `blog` site (internet based diaries....) to make money? It sounds very interesting to me. Do you know any site I can visist to have a clue of how it works. 
    I will apprecite more information if possible.
    Kaay
  • DennisDennis subscriber Posts: 0
    Hi Kaay,
    There`s already been some great comments and advise. The opportunities on the internet are really wide open. I`d say figure out what you love to do and then figure out how you can market that.
     Don`t get overwhelmed by the prospect of having to learn everything in a single day if you know what I mean. Take it one step at a time and you`ll be amazed at how much you can accomplish.
    Just be aware that you`ll  likely have a lot more failures than successes along the way. Just fail fast and be persistent.  Just keep going foward step by step. 
    Something that I really try to keep in mind is that I like to be in the business of helping people. If you have a product or service that solves a persons problem you`ll be successful.
     Also, don`t get stuck into the mindset of having to know everything before you take action. Get your plan together and then start to implement it. In most cases you`ll have to keep learning and adjusting your plan along the way. 
    I guess what I`m trying to get at is that taking the wrong action is better than taking no action at all. You`ll learn and become more knowledgable and little by little you`ll find out what works for you. 
  • winwinwinwin subscriber Posts: 0
    Kaay,
    Your basic steps are the same as any business.   Answer the following:
    What product or service am I going to offer (what problem am I going to solve)?
    What is my competition?  What are they offering? What do I like or not like about what they are doing?
    What is my unique selling proposition?  What sets me apart from the competition? 
    What is my business plan . . . my marketing plan?
    The advantage the internet has for offering a service or product is the speed and ease of market research.  One very bright (but occasionally sarcastic) person once said:  "Sell it over the phone first.  If you can`t sell it over the phone, what makes you think you can sell it over the internet?"  or something similar.