Internet ! Any chance for a novice?

kaaykaay Posts: 1subscriber
edited May 2007 in Selecting a Business
Hello everyone,
I work with a government agency for about 10yrs. I do not see myself doing the samething for the next 5yrs. I have a degree in Political Science and in my late 30s.
From the above its obvious I have very little knowledge of the internet world. However, I want to go into private venture.
Can anyone advise me in the aspect of the internet buiness I can venture into. I`m ready to purse any part time course if its call for. I have very little saves which I`m ready to invest, but this is not much
I look forward to your advise.
Kaay 

Comments

• kaaykaay Posts: 1subscriber
    CraigL,
    Thanks for the suggestion.
    How can I use `blog` site (internet based diaries....) to make money? It sounds very interesting to me. Do you know any site I can visist to have a clue of how it works. 
    I will apprecite more information if possible.
    Kaay
  • DennisDennis Posts: 0subscriber
    Hi Kaay,
    There`s already been some great comments and advise. The opportunities on the internet are really wide open. I`d say figure out what you love to do and then figure out how you can market that.
     Don`t get overwhelmed by the prospect of having to learn everything in a single day if you know what I mean. Take it one step at a time and you`ll be amazed at how much you can accomplish.
    Just be aware that you`ll  likely have a lot more failures than successes along the way. Just fail fast and be persistent.  Just keep going foward step by step. 
    Something that I really try to keep in mind is that I like to be in the business of helping people. If you have a product or service that solves a persons problem you`ll be successful.
     Also, don`t get stuck into the mindset of having to know everything before you take action. Get your plan together and then start to implement it. In most cases you`ll have to keep learning and adjusting your plan along the way. 
    I guess what I`m trying to get at is that taking the wrong action is better than taking no action at all. You`ll learn and become more knowledgable and little by little you`ll find out what works for you. 
  • winwinwinwin Posts: 0subscriber
    Kaay,
    Your basic steps are the same as any business.   Answer the following:
    What product or service am I going to offer (what problem am I going to solve)?
    What is my competition?  What are they offering? What do I like or not like about what they are doing?
    What is my unique selling proposition?  What sets me apart from the competition? 
    What is my business plan . . . my marketing plan?
    The advantage the internet has for offering a service or product is the speed and ease of market research.  One very bright (but occasionally sarcastic) person once said:  "Sell it over the phone first.  If you can`t sell it over the phone, what makes you think you can sell it over the internet?"  or something similar.