WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Interested in starting a home based business

jalanejalane subscriber Posts: 3
edited October 2007 in Selecting a Business
Hi! I`m interested in starting a home based business, and need some helpful tips from aspiring home based entrepreneurs, or already successful ones. Thank you!

Comments

• stonesledgestonesledge subscriber Posts: 608 Silver Level Member
    Hi Jalane,

Before starting home business, it is important to take the time to review the factors and considerations about yourself and the business you plan to enter.

Be honest with yourself. Know what you`re getting into. In business, there are no guarantees. There is simply no way to eliminate all the risks associated with starting a small business - but you can improve your chances of success with good planning, preparation, and insight. Start by evaluating your strengths and weaknesses as a potential owner and manager of a small business.
     Ask yourself these questions: -Are you a self-starter? -How well do you get along with different personalities? Business owners need to develop working relationships with a variety of people including customers, vendors, staff, bankers, and professionals such as lawyers, accountants or consultants.  -Do you have the physical and emotional stamina to run a business?  A home business can be exciting, but it`s also a lot of work. Can you face six or seven 12-hour work days every week? -How well do you plan and organize? -Is your drive strong enough? Running a business can wear you down emotionally. Some business owners burn out quickly from having to carry all the responsibility for the success of their business on their own shoulders. Strong motivation will help you survive slowdowns and periods of burnout.  If you can accomplish the above then you can be on your way to a successful home business. What type of home business would you like to run? What are you good at? What do you love to do? What do others say you do well? You have to love what you do. There are many pros to having a home based business....yes you can work in your PJ`s...i did until this afternoon..didn`t have time to get dressed, was on the phone too long. You can have a more flexible schedule and make time for your family. I would have to say that the most difficult obstacle to running a business out of your home is to when to shut down "business" for the day..... It can call you at all hours..but just set a limit and leave it until the next day. I struggle with this. You should be ready at a moments notice to run out the door to meet a prospective client, that has an urgent need you may want to jump right on. So being able to get ready fast is a good thing. You have to always rellok your plans, stay on target and try never to procrastinate because you are answering to only yourself. Set daily goals and check off as you go.  I wish you much Success! Erin -How will the business affect your family? The first few years of business start-up can be hard on family life. It can be VERY hard! It`s important for family members to know what to expect and for you to be able to trust that they will support you during this time. There also may be financial difficulties until the business becomes profitable, which could take months or years. You may have to adjust to a lower standard of living or put family assets at risk in the short-term.  
  • NuevolutionNuevolution subscriber Posts: 30 Bronze Level Member
    Me too, it`s almost 2:00 and I haven`t gotten dressed yet. 

I haven`t shaved in almost 9 weeks and I look horrible... that`s why I like working from home Me three... I don`t know about not shaving in 9 weeks but... I`m still in my sweats... I didn`t go anywhere today so it was a relaxing afternoon... Besides you can`t go anywhere, the wild fires are near my house now, and it`s been raining ashes all day long. Nuevolution2007-10-27 4:2:44
  • jalanejalane subscriber Posts: 3
    Thanks guys! Your inputs were awesome!
  • Jaun22Jaun22 subscriber Posts: 0
    I think you have to have that balance of work and home. Even if you have that work at home you still need to get out and interact with the industry.
  • candlelady2candlelady2 subscriber Posts: 1
    Hi jalane,
    Well I am one of the PJ`s/sweatpants group. I guess, just because I can. Lately I`ve been working on disciplining myself as far as making candles in "work clothes" which is usually Levi`s and denim shirt. However, I also have to go out to promote my products to shops etc. I love working from home for the most part. My only drawback has been my family, who I guess think that unless I leave the house everyday at a certain time, then it`s not a real job???? One of my son`s always needs a babysitter for the 15 mo. old. The mother in law can`t do it ,because she has to work!!! Hello? I make my products, label them,deliver them and market them!
    I guess what I`m saying is just make sure everyone knows you are "working" when you are working. Some people especially family members need to take it seriously too!

Best wishes to you! Go for it!

Gail Haywood,
    Autumn Mist Candle Creations

• LauraBLauraB subscriber Posts: 1
    Hi!  It`s so important to have a product or service that people are going to want or need!  Consumable products provide great potential for repeat business and there are lots of great companies that fit that bill.  I`d love to share my business with you, and see if it`s something you`d enjoy starting up for yourself!  Feel free to email me for more information - I can point you to my website via email, but unfortunately I cannot post it here!
    Laura (LMBostian@frontiernet.net</A>)