WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Advice - Shipping Desserts

eggsandmilkeggsandmilk subscriber Posts: 1
edited May 2009 in Thought Leadership
I`m a desserts manufacture. I sell my desserts to local restaurants but I want to expand and sell online and around the country, but my issue is shipping. I`m not sure how to ship a dessert (that needs to be refrigerated) without damaging it during the shipment. What about cost? Is it cheaper to ship overnight or to purchase more packaging items so that I can ship it 2 day? Any advice would greatly be appreciated.

Comments

• BizOptimizerBizOptimizer subscriber Posts: 1
    If you can get a hold of the right people at UPS/FedEx, you`d be surprised what "custom" packages they`ve created for others - or what they might be able to do for you.

If you remember Gateway Computers (I think) - the funny looking boxes arrived at your doorstep together even though they came from different warehouses.  UPS (I think) did that for them.

Back when I did a lot of shipping, they also created "special rate packages" to ensure it was cheaper for a decent sized shipper to use them.  I`d bet they can be more creative and change the rate rules for you - things we can`t do here?  It is pretty competitive and if you are going to be any size shipper - you`ll be surprised at how much they`ll wine, dine, and solve your problems.

Good luck!
  • nevadasculnevadascul subscriber Posts: 3 Member
    First you need to decide how far away you want to ship your product.  Some perishables for example can not be shipped long distances even in refrigerated trucks. 
    Then, go on line to find freight carriers that will service those areas.  When you contact them, specify that your product will need to be refrigerated.  Most freight services have refrigerated trailers.  But it will cost you more. 
    Another option is to package your product in a refrigerated container of some type.  You can go on line and search for "refrigerated packaging" or "packaging suppliers."  Refrigerated packaging will add to your packaging cost, but may save you money on shipping.
    Finally, a good rule of thumb on packaging came from a friend.  He worked for a major parcel delivery company.  A package should be able to withstand being dropped several times from a three foot platform.  If the package falls apart during the test, it won`t make it through a freight center.
    If you have more questions, you can contact me at www.spcfreelance.com
    Hope this helps