WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Marketing Ideas

toobizyladytoobizylady subscriber Posts: 1
edited July 2008 in Marketing
Good Afternoon Everyone,
I am a virtual assistant specializing in author`s support.  I am looking for ways to market my specialized service.  All ideas welcome!!
All the best,
Julie Barnes

Comments

• IviationIviation subscriber Posts: 1
    Hey Julie, good luck with your new business!

SEO is a great way to help as well as some PR. I`m personally not a
    believer in marketing (advertising), but have always had great success
    with PR.

Being involved in local Chamber and other organizations and also you
    might want to try contacting several smaller real estate agencies and see
    if they would outsource that function to you.

Small Business chambers are another way and even Craig`s List!

You will face stiff competition from India and their very low pricing
    model.

Also try smallbusinesscommunity.bankofamerica.com and you might
    have some success there.

Networking for your area is huge and you can create more value by being
    well-spoken and flexible for your prospects/clients.

I`ve looked at hiring a VA, but haven`t so far.

Hope this helped.
  • GreetingCardGoldmineGreetingCardGoldmine subscriber Posts: 1
    Hi Julie,
    You could write a series of posts based on how your services could benefit authors.  I would make Authors Assistant or whatever keywords are best as one of your catagories as well as use keyword optimization in your blog post title and in the first few sentences of your blog post.  This would at least help the authors seeking help to find you.Have you advertised on craigslist.com or backpage.com?
  • GreetingCardGoldmineGreetingCardGoldmine subscriber Posts: 1
    Hi Julie,
    You could write a series of posts based on how your services could benefit authors.  I would make Authors Assistant or whatever keywords are best as one of your catagories as well as use keyword optimization in your blog post title and in the first few sentences of your blog post.  This would at least help the authors seeking help to find you.You could visit author`s blogs and make pertinent and relevant comments and include a link to one of your blog posts about assisting authors.Have you posted on craigslist.com or backpage.com?
  • LogoMotivesLogoMotives subscriber Posts: 15
    Julie -
    I think well-placed articles written about your services - on business sites such as biznik, writing industry sites like BookCatcher, and in magazines targeting the book writing industry, would bring business your way.
    In checking out your website, I found that your identity conveys a sense that you might be a real estate virtual assistant much more than one that works with authors.  Getting your blog up and and running will also give you much more online exposure.  One of my greatest marketing tools for my last book was the blog I initiated for it.
    Social networking and social media has been incredibly successful in marketing my design work and my books.  I wrote a blog entry about using such tools in promoting my book.  Making use of similar methods would work well in marketing your services.
    All the best - J.
  • JodyGabourieJodyGabourie subscriber Posts: 0
    Hi Julie,

I agree with Jeff - starting to build a profile and credibility is key and if trying to target authors, what better way than with marketing that encompasses writing, such as a blog, articles and facebook.

I would also get in contact with VA groups and add your name to their listing and that way you can start building some relationships with other VA`s as referrals are a big part of VA marketing.  Maybe you can have some strategic partnerships/alliances with other VA`s who are also targeting authors.

Do some research and find out where authors hang out and then try to get in front of them - advertise in their industry publications, submit articles to their publications, hang out on their forums.

The idea is to get your face and name out there and the internet lets you do that.  I wouldn`t worry about competition from India.  If you focus on the quality services you provide and not on price-point, there are lots of people out there who will respond.

I have 2 VA`s and don`t know what I would do without them!

Good luck!

Jody Gabourie

http://www.jodygabouriemarketingcoach.com