Hello From Michigan

RiverspiritRiverspirit subscriber Posts: 1
edited February 2008 in New Member Welcome
Hi, my name is Julia, and I just joined this forum.  About 3-4 months ago I began to learn about internet marketing so I could strive for financial freedom.  As I became consumed in affiliate marketing (unsuccessfully), I grew further from my true goal which is to write and help women who have struggled in life as I had. I stopped two weeks ago to take a break, re-access my goals, and start building my dream in January.

I realized I don`t really have a plan and found myself getting stuck when it came to developing a plan. I found this site and forum with a lot of useful info on developing a life plan as well as a business plan, so I decided to join. I hope to learn a lot from being here and hopefully help others also.

Comments

• kevinzhangkevinzhang subscriber Posts: 6
    Hi Julia, welcome to startupnation, enjoy here.
  • RiverspiritRiverspirit subscriber Posts: 1
    Welcome Julia!
    Where are you going to take this goal of yours next?

First I`m going to create my life plan, and then intregrate it into a business plan. The problem I`ve had in the past, and over the last few months is jumping in head first without writing down goals first.  Right now I just have ideas about what I would like to do, but I`m scattered and to be honest, have no idea what I`m doing.

That`s why I joined this forum. I`ve printed out the life plan and business plan and will start there.  I get a little stuck when attempting to build my website due to not having direction but also because I am hesitate to promote products, which is silly because if I don`t have something for people to buy, I can`t eventually have my own business where I`m financially free. I think I get stuck because perhaps I see others as me, someone who can`t afford to buy things, and I don`t want to be pushy.

The last three months have been a great learning experience. I`ve realized a few areas in my life that definitely need improving in order for me to succeed. Knowing where I`m taking my goals next being the top order of business. Believing in myself and seeing myself making money are other things that I need to work on.

The website I`m working on (hasn`t been made public yet) is thoughtsnfeelings.com.  I got it a month or so ago, with my husband. He was going to use it to have a recovery site for alcoholics. Only he`s not interested in it anymore and enrolled in school instead. So I have a website package that includes a forum, chat room, a store, and lots of other cool stuff. I figured thoughtnfeelings would work for my site for women since it`s our thoughts and feelings that can prevent us from fulfilling our dreams in life. That`s about as far as I`ve gotten so far.

Julia
    Hi Julia,
    Welcome to SuN!
    What are your dreams?
    Andrew

I`ve always dreamed of having my own business. I imagine myself writing books, doing workshops, and helping people move past limitations in life to have their dreams become reality. I dream of not having to work outside the home, and travelling. I dream of some day having a horse and riding through the moutains.  I dream of growing more spiritually and reaching enlightment.

I used to dream about finding my storybook romance, only that dream came true for me two years ago. I was always told that was impossible, because it`s never like it is in fairy tales. But I held on to that dream, and it did happen. We have challenges as does all fairy tales, but it is as I dreamed of.

So I hold on to the other dreams and am working on making them reality also.

• GrillCharmerGrillCharmer subscriber Posts: 7
    Wow Julia! GREAT to have you on the board!!  Welcome!
    Julia,
    I love your dreams!
    Now we just want to add some timescales, don`t we?
    Andrew

Ah, something else I need improving. And I think setting reasonable timescales is important. I used to set pretty unreasonable ones, and failed miserable. Then I just didn`t set any. And of course the dreams remained just dreams.

My husband is in a business class and gave me a copy of a goal setting sheet he has to work on. This will help me set more realistic goals for myself. This week I will work on my life plan that I got from this site. Hopefully doing that I will have more direction to begin my business plan.

I won`t be doing a lot between Christmas and New Year`s, although I can set some short term goals for starting in January.

Thanks for the thought provoking questions. This helps a lot.
    Julia
    I was playing around searching google to see if my website came up and when I entered it in, my post from this forum showed up.  That`s pretty cool.  I decided to throw out the idea of starting a business.  I thought building a business meant my goal was to make money.  So I focused on just creating a website centered around my journey through life, with my goal being to help others through experience, strength and hope.  Over the last week, I realized what I`m building is a more of a non-profit organization.

I owe a lot to Start up Nation because it was through these forums that I found what I`m really passionate about and am turning that into reality.

So thanks everyone for all your in put and questions that helped me figure things out.

Julia

• RichRich Las Vegas, NVadministrator Posts: 636 Site Admin
    this is cool news, julia. congrats on landing on a specific direction on how best to manifest and serve your passion.

just curious, where, other than StartupNation will you reach out to find out how to be an effective non-profit entrepreneur. i`m considering adding step-by-step advice here at the site on EXACTLY that subject. bringing the disciplines of successful entrepreneurs to 501(c)3 non-profits, it seems, would be extremely valuable.

rich

this is cool news, julia. congrats on landing on a specific direction on how best to manifest and serve your passion. just curious, where, other than StartupNation will you reach out to find out how to be an effective non-profit entrepreneur. i`m considering adding step-by-step advice here at the site on EXACTLY that subject. bringing the disciplines of successful entrepreneurs to 501(c)3 non-profits, it seems, would be extremely valuable. rich
     The step by step advice sounds great.  I haven`t considered yet on how to do this effectively.  I had stated on my website that it was a non-profit organization, but then I changed "organization" to "website" because I realized there may be certain protocol in setting up an organization.  When I started this whole thing, I was scared out of my mind, I`m new to internet technology, and doubted my capability. So it was important that I just begin building it and getting it published.  Then I would work out the schematics of turning it into some sort of business. So it started out as a personal website about a month ago, and now that I`m gaining more confidence, and learning to create better pages, it seems I have the basis for developing  a non-profit organization.  It`s still not fully developed, but I`m working on it. I`m a little clueless on the business aspect of things.  But I love what I`m doing as far as reaching out to others, so learning more on how to set things up as an organization would be a good idea. So far aside from family and friends, the only ones that have posted in my forum have been spammers.  Unfortuneate, but I guess it goes with the territory. It will probably take awhile for strangers to realize I`m not out to scam them and begin to trust what my site is about.  That`s partly why I started thinking of turning it into an organization.  I look forward to learning from your step by step advice on this matter. Julia