WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Help for the Helper?

ThestoneguyThestoneguy subscriber Posts: 1
edited January 2007 in Grab Bag
I am NOT an entrepreneur, I`m the go to guy. How come there is no help on the SuN for the guy like me that is stuck with the heavy lifting? I am the guy that is constantly caught between ownership, trying to strike the balance between my entrepreneur owner and his wife, the keeper of the checkbook! I am always the bad guy when things are getting off the ground, and the magician a couple of years from now when ownship is rolling in dough! I need some help and tools to be able to demonstrate to all of my ownership the value of "the plan" the value of taking the time to write policy, procedure and decide what products and profit margins are appropriate for our industry. How do I, as an employee, convince ownship that just making sales will not solve all problems.
Thanks for the forum that lets me vent to those that would understand my plight.
Joe
TheStoneGuyThestoneguy2007-1-7 13:36:50

Comments

• ujeansujeans subscriber Posts: 1
    I think you`ve done a good job explaining/venting your
    frustration here.  If you haven`t, sit down with these two people and
    explain everything as you have done here.  You`ll feel like you`re
    "sticking your neck out", but it sounds like these people trust your
    abilities and your insight.

Whatever happens, keep us posted on the results.
  • ThestoneguyThestoneguy subscriber Posts: 1
    Thanks Guys,
    I`ll be "sticking my neck out" a little later today. I will be sitting down with my entrepreneur/owner and his recent college grad daughter/my boss and presenting my first quarter sales plan. Wish me luck!
    As far as the insturmental references, well I guess I started out a long time ago as "third tuba" in the orchestra, but I have found myself playing lead guitar for four of the last five people I have worked for. I have also gone as far as I could go, (short of marrying the owner`s daughter) then moved on to another challenge. I have even been asked back twice for repeat performances, as I am doing now. Playing lead guitar has always left me living paycheck to paycheck, "starting my own band" has always been a dream of how to get from the last paycheck to the first draw check! Being the father of six, I alway take the safe bet on the paycheck!
    Joe
  • kgkg subscriber Posts: 3
    Joe:
    Have you ever considered your strengths that guide your decisions?  You mention "I`m the go to guy, stuck with the heavy lifting, trying to strike the balance, the bad/fall (accepting respnsibility) guy when things are getting off the ground, and the magician/wonder guy, able to demonstrate the value of "the plan" the value of taking the time to write policy, procedure and decide what products and profit margins are appropriate for our industry"  Your new goal: "convince ownship that just making sales will not solve all problems"  and offer solutions.
    What makes you think so little of your natural talents nad strengths?  I suggest that you ask to be paid what you are worth and start seeing what you are worth.  It is very easy to worry about how the kids are going to be fed or how you are going to pay for that new pair of roller blades, let alone private school or college.  However, I am realizing that having faith in your God given abilities is very powerful.  You may be the `start-up` guy or the `deal maker` or the ultimate enterpreneur.  Don`t cut yourself short.  See yourself in one of these roles or change your attitude about your current role and make the owners see you the same way you see yourself.  There is nothing wrong with partners.
    Okay go guy!
    Katherine
    Hi Katherine,
    Thanks for the kind words of encouragment.
    This has been a very interesting week! I have spoken with all three of the company owners individually about pricing, marketing, sales and the sales plan I presented to ownership this past Monday. I believe I have managed to bring all to my side of the table! Changes are taking place and it now looks like full speed ahead!
    TheStoneGuy
  • kgkg subscriber Posts: 3
    I am so glad to hear your news.  Life can be good.
    Katherine
    Hi Katherine,
    Any day above ground is a good day!
    It took too long, but I think they have finally heard what I have been saying. Sometimes things get lost in translation.
    Joe