WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Need a name for bar!!! Input needed!

crbbjrjpcrbbjrjp subscriber Posts: 5
edited February 2007 in Marketing
I`m moving along in the process of purchasing a sports bar / nightclub and now am to the point that I need to come up with a name.  I`ve been racking my brain with friends and haven`t came up with or heard anything I like yet.  This will be in Columbus, OH.  Names and/or suggestions appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    MNGrillGuyMNGrillGuy subscriber Posts: 2 Member
    Who is your target market?  The name will need to speak to them.
    i.e.  "The Buckle Saloon"  might not do well in Manhattan
    All aspects of your bar will need to be catered to the target market.  Decor, prices, food (if any), entertainment options, etc. 
  • Options
    kgkg subscriber Posts: 3
    Well, cbbjrjp:
    Your profile lists that you are in finance.  This part you must understand well and an asset to starting your sports bar/night club.  However, your "letter` name means tells me that you want to remain anonymous.  You probably have a great name and should use it as the name of your business.
    The restaurant owners and club owners that I have known in the past have shown incredible people skills.  They are present in their business everyday and available.  They thrive on solving problems on the stop and igniting their employees to do the same.  Their name is their word, even if their natural instincts are convincing and selling their own image.  They do this well.
    So, my advice is to go with your name.  There is something very powerful in a person`s name at the head oftheir business.  I hope you succeed.
    Katherine
  • Options
    stonesledgestonesledge subscriber Posts: 608 Silver Level Member
    a last name is great for a bar name especially if it ends in Y.It does depend on what type of atmosphere you want and how you want to brand yourself. Do you want it to be a business atmosphere, artsy, laid back? What type of music venues? Here are some example names off the top of my head:
    Connections, Legends, The Loft, The Playhouse, Upstairs Downstairs, Reminders, Population. A name of someone you know and admire, a family name. It has to be something that excites you, because you have to promote it and feel good about promting it. A single letter is always classy live "V" or vibes...these are just off the top of my head in 2 minutes. I know if you just thought about what this new venture means to you (venture another neat name), you will find a word that fits. let us know how you do. .....Spirits, The Edge...i can`t stop:)
  • Options
    CoppermanCopperman subscriber Posts: 2
    There are enough brians around here to same you time and money coming up with a name.
    We need more info: Are there any special features, is the town or location know for any particular spotting event or significant historical clubs. Someone else has suggested the kind of atmosphere. What about your clients-what age group, what income bracket.
    Give us some more to bite on and we can throw some names at you and see which sticks.
  • Options
    LogoMotivesLogoMotives subscriber Posts: 15
    stonesledge and Copperman had some great suggestions.  You could also just do a Google search for "sports bar" and see if any of the names already out there spark a great original idea. (over 1.3 million references popped up)When friends and clients are looking for business names I always suggest they get a group of friends together, and if they drink, have a few beers, cocktails or glasses of wine as they have a brainstorming session.  Lots of good names can come out of such sessions.- J.
  • Options
    Fusion7Fusion7 subscriber Posts: 1
    Lot`s of great advice here, just make sure the name fits and that it doesn`t oversell the place.... so don`t overthink it, just describe it with one or two words.  That word doesn`t even need to match the dictionary definition.  Oh, and it should be easy to spell.  I knew a guy who named a business "Dijobu" (Japanese for "everything is just fine") but it was too diffiicult to spell or pronounce his business so he lost sales!
  • Options
    MiserAdMiserAd subscriber Posts: 2
    One thing I tell my clients is to find the true essence of their business.  Each and every business, whether a bar or software company, has its own personality.  This personality stems from the creators and those who perform the operations.  The name should be one that exemplifies this personality.  This will do two things. 1) as mentioned earlier, make you excited and more confident in selling the services and idea and 2) help build what I call "Operational Branding" which basically means that everything in your organization (from name to operations) is screaming the same message.  If you create a name that is encapsulates the personality of it`s creators, the operational branding will come along with the message and personality.  Good Luck and contact me if you want to discuss a little more. MiserAd2007-1-10 10:34:17
  • Options
    SolidGrndSolidGrnd subscriber Posts: 11
    I have to agree with everyone...the atmosphere you are trying to create is key. I worked at a bar after my son was born. You had a feeling of the atmosphere before you ever entered because of the name.
    Bungalow Billiards and Brew
    You mentioned it is a sports bar...and it is in Columbus...what about something like Sports Dreams & Cocktails? (okay...that just sounded like the movie Cocktail) Uh...try again...sorry...just drew a mjor blank.
    The other thing I have seen that is really successful is naming it after the road you are on...or the city you are part of. For instance...a friend of mine and I use to meet once a week at a place called Route 29 Diner. It was this hole in the wall but people loved it. Make sure it is something that people can get out quickly....or at least shorten when they are talking to friends about where they are headed. For instance...Bungalows...or 29...or 1st St. bar....or Mike`s...or OWWW...there is a bar here that I love the name of...
    Someplace Else
    I always thought that was a great name! Anyway...you get the idea! Bars are actually a great place to put a name on...cuz their whole point is fun and relaxation! Best of luck!
  • Options
    TheBackupManTheBackupMan subscriber Posts: 0
    Since it is a sportsbar, what about "The Sideline?"

• Options
    yourNAMEinDotComyourNAMEinDotCom subscriber Posts: 17
    You know, I always wanted to open a bar and I was going to simply call it: "a Really Good Bar" It`s yours for the taking.Think about it."Hey, why don`t we go have a beer at a Really Good Bar?"Sounds too simple? Sometimes simple is good. I like simple.If you don`t like that, how about maybe: "My Favourite Bar" or "The Best Bar in Town"
  • Options
    SolidGrndSolidGrnd subscriber Posts: 11
    See...that`s why I lvoe the bar in our town called "Somplace Else"....how simple...let`s go "Someplace Else"! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! I personally thought it was ingenious! It is really a dive...but it is fun and homey! When we talk about it though...we always say we are going "Someplace"! Luckily...locals know what we are talking about!
    Yep...simple can DEFINITELY be good!! Again though...your ideas are a bit harder to shorten...hmmm...have to think about that! I don`t know anyone who doesn`t shorten the name of a bar or restaurant when talking to friends...for instance: TGIFridays = Fridays, Bungalow Billiards and Brew = Bungalows, etc. There are obviously some exceptions...but they tend to be the higher end places...like McCormick & Schmicks, or Ruth Chris (Sp?) , etc.
  • Options
    stonesledgestonesledge subscriber Posts: 608 Silver Level Member
    So what did you name it?
  • Options
    patentandtrademarkpatentandtrademark subscriber Posts: 103
    There are lots of bars and names for bars out there.  Make sure you get some type of "clearance" concerning trademark availability.