WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Whats the buzz on opening a barber shop?

TheJoeZoneTheJoeZone subscriber Posts: 5
edited July 2009 in Selecting a Business
Looking to open a barbershop. I know very little about this business. 
First off, does one have to be a licensed barber to do so? I do not want to cut hair, I just want to be the owner. How about start up costs?  Would like to start out with 3 -4 chairs and see what happens. Has anyone here had success in the barbering bizz? I feel it to be recession proof seeing that we all need a to keep our folicles in check.. Advice anyone?
                                                                                       Thanks in advanse,
                                                                                                            Joe               

Comments

• Options
    patentandtrademarkpatentandtrademark subscriber Posts: 103
  • Options
    TheJoeZoneTheJoeZone subscriber Posts: 5
    I know I would need a license, but do I have to be a barber to get one?
  • Options
    RanksIntlRanksIntl subscriber Posts: 0
    Hello!

Great idea!  A lot of barber shops are closing right now but if you kind find the right market and area for what you want to do this could be a great investment.
    Honestly, need for a license all depends on where you live.  Generally, no, to be the owner of a barber shop you do not need to be a licensed barber but you will obviously need a licensed barber on staff.  There are other licenses and permits that go into running different businesses so that may be what patentandtrademark meant.  So, the first question is going to be: where do you live? 
    How far along are you in your plans?  Is it just an idea or are you starting to make plans?  Again, start up costs are going to depend on your location.  Real estate obviously varies from state to state. Chairs can costs upwards of $500. The supplies that you need are going to vary based on the range of services you are looking to provide, etc.   If you can provide some more information I can better help you.  If you want to leave details here regarding where you live, etc or if you want to email me I`d be happy to help!
  • Options
    NewBarberNewBarber subscriber Posts: 0
    Hello all,

I` ve got the same idea as Joe.  I am not a barber nor do I have any interest in cutting hair, but I do want to own a shop because it does seem like a "recession proof" business.  I am just stuck on the employee pay part..  I know booth rentals where i intend on openning my shop (New Jersey) is illegal, so I was thinking straight commission base pay.  My thinking is 60% barber 40% shop.  Is that too much or too little for me??  Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    JC
  • Options
    NewBarberNewBarber subscriber Posts: 0
  • Options
    jbossjboss subscriber Posts: 0
    What is a good business to combine with a barber shop?
  • Options
    48484848 subscriber Posts: 0
    9927. i see that was posted two years ago. just join this site. very very nice post. im also in the process of opening my own shop in the ohio. if u are still around . would like very much to know how ur doing now . have a bless day. 4848.