WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

MY FIRST WEBSITE

Comments

• VideographyVideography subscriber Posts: 401 Silver Level Member
    Karen, I would also like to see the form, if you don`t mind.  I do my own website (OK, go look at it and tell me that it sucks), and maybe your form could push me into having someone else manage the site for me.  It would at least give me things to think about when I do get the time to fix my site.To others looking for a site host - I have been using GoDaddy for more than five years and I couldn`t be happier with a provider.  I have four websites there and more than 50 domain names registered.  Their support disclaimer says 24-hours, but my email queries get a response in minutes.
  • WoodstockWoodstock subscriber Posts: 0
    I have a website domain with GoDaddy and have not set anything up yet.  I have been getting ready for some EBay sellling, and also don`t know where to begin to get a website up and running.  GoDaddy can assist with the design for a simple site, but is that enough???
  • ChollieChollie subscriber Posts: 0
    I just started my first one also. After playing around with Front Page and a couple of other web programs I did the smart thing and hired someone to help me out. After doing some research I chose KTwebdesign and I think it was a good decision. Janet walked me through the process and explained everything to me without any condecension. She will help you with the server and all the other million things you will need to keep in mind. I had her make me a fairly basic site for just under $500 and it was well worth the price! Unless you are a graphic designer and really know the web building program I strongly advise you to find a pro, it will be worth it in the long (and not so long) run.
    Her address is:janet@ktwebdesigns.com. Just tell her the guy from Dynamic Learning Systems sent you!
    Ps: Since she built my site I have had the time to learn the basics of Front Page and can now tweak or even redesign my site myself and she is always there to help me out. Great company.
  • watergalwatergal subscriber Posts: 10 Bronze Level Member
    Thanks Chollie so much for the help on a website.  You know it can really
    stress you out  trying to design  your own site or looking for the right
    designer then a  host provider.  There are so many elements I am finding out
    now. I am in the process of looking at other sites and seeing what features they
    have that I like.  But I know  in the beginning I will just get what I need and
    change it down the road. The more information I get the better I feel.
    Thanks again
    jo
  • JeffJeff subscriber Posts: 1
    To all of you who helped Jo out.....YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    How cool is it that so much great information is made available by people who care about helping others realize their startup dreams.
    I am just thrilled.....
    Jeff
  • IDHPIDHP subscriber Posts: 0
    KAren had a smart response in that I find it helps to know exaclty what you want on the site before you design it.
    I thought i knew what i needed until i sat down and wrote it all out.  Then i thought of a few extra things, and i`m now moving stuff around to fit everything i want.
    If I`m not too badly mistaken, i believe the Small Business Administration has a great document on their site that can guide you through some of the things you should think about when designing your site from information to include to the beginnings of a marketing plan.
    good luck,

craig
    www.id-hp.com</A>

I know - I have her questionnaire, I am going to look it over later today.
    I do have some features which I would like on the site which will be
    helpful to me later on when the business starts catching on.
    Everyone here is so helpful, its really a great site. I`m finding it hard
    to stay off it - everything is so interesting to me, even if it doesn`t apply to me at
    the moment
    thanks!
    jo
    I signed up the other day with startlogic for webhost. It was highly recommended
    here by bobbyhume so I am covered on that. Just have to sit down and see what
    I need on the site for it to work.
    Thanks for your help
    jo
  • sddreamweaverssddreamweavers subscriber Posts: 5 Member
    As a web consultant I`d have to give a word of warning about places that are really cheap and say they are `business` oriented.  Many of the hosting companies out there are designed to just host webpages and perhaps some basic php forums and that`s it.  If you ever want to get e-mail marketing or grow a small business into a large business you`d have to do some searching for a hosting provider that will work for you.  Netfirms is a prime example of the hosting companies to stay away from if you want to get a business up and runing.
    The godaddy`s and other Hosting companies of the world that advertise heavily in the main stream media may not always have what you need and may not work with you to make your business successful.  Examples again would be e-mail marketing (not spam), load balancing, numerous data bases (over 15) and e-mail accounts.
    These types of hosting companies are off the beaten path and aren`t always too easy to find.
    Two examples of hosting companies like this would be IX Web Hosting and Dreamhost.
     sddreamweavers2006-4-7 5:8:50
  • calvincalvin subscriber Posts: 14 Bronze Level Member
    i`ve been following this thread and think you guys are doing an awesome job providing information. 
    I have a question though... I am also thinking of starting a site of my own.  Before i spend any money on putting a site together, do I need to incorporate first?  Should the money spent building the site come from me personally, or from the business I intend on starting?
    Thanks for your input.
  • RichRich administrator Posts: 582 Site Admin
    calvin-
    thanks for being part of our exciting GROWING community. regarding your question about the order in which to do things, we`ve tried to set up a holistic, step-by-step approach to starting up. our 10 Steps to Open for Business would argue that you definitely put your business structure together before going live with your website. even if you want to stay as a sole proprietor, just make sure you`ve covered your bases and really thought this through. there are all sorts of tax and liability-related matters as well as future financing- and personnel-related matters that come into play.
  • calvincalvin subscriber Posts: 14 Bronze Level Member

calvin-
    thanks for being part of our exciting GROWING community. regarding your question about the order in which to do things, we`ve tried to set up a holistic, step-by-step approach to starting up. our 10 Steps to Open for Business would argue that you definitely put your business structure together before going live with your website. even if you want to stay as a sole proprietor, just make sure you`ve covered your bases and really thought this through. there are all sorts of tax and liability-related matters as well as future financing- and personnel-related matters that come into play.

Thanks for the advice Rich.  It`s amazing that I`ve been listening to your show for so long and now you are replying to my question!!!  FYI... I just bought the StatupNation book and I`m hoping to learn lots from you guys.

• PatriotToursPatriotTours subscriber Posts: 1
    That`s a lot of great advice!  Hopefully, I can add something useful to it.  In my prior incarnation I worked as an IT manager/consultant in brokerage.  I managed teams that built corporate websites both for internal and customer use.  The #1 biggest problem we encountered was departments who really did not thoroughly think through what they wanted on their sites.  This was always the budget buster.  So, some things to check off before you set out:What should your site accomplish? (sales, inquiries, etc...)What look and feel reflects your business?  (remember, a website is like walking into a store, showroom or professional office and should convey that same experience)What subject matter do you want covered and what information do you want to communicate?Compose as much of the text up front as possible.  Have your business name, address, phone number and email address in place before the web design.  These few things will go a long way, since most designers will charge by the hour, although some will give you a flat rate.  The more changes you make, the higher the cost.  An experienced designer will take your "specs" and give you a time estimate.  It should include at least one round of changes or "fixes" and a few tweaks.  (An experienced designer should also tell you what`s missing from your specs.)Having the same designer do your concept, logo, brochures, business cards and website is a great way to save (I did) but keep in mind that not all web designers are good graphic artists and vice versa.  The only part of my website not done by the web designer is the little mascot you see here on my sig, which was hand drawn by an artist.  Oh, and be sure to see samples of someone`s work before hiring them.  A web designer should be happy to provide you with samples of their work, as should an artist or graphic desinger who specializes in logos and corporate image.  There are many small entrepreneurs out there who do fantastic work.  You can often get great results on a budget by hiring them.  It looks like there are some right here!If anyone needs help getting their specs together, I`ll be happy to lend some advice. 
  • shotgunflatshotgunflat subscriber Posts: 0
    We offer excellent website for small- and medium-sized businesses.  Please check out our website at http://shotgunflat.com/portfolio.htm</A>.
  • BJ_CBJ_C subscriber Posts: 2
    You need to find a guy or a company design the website for you.