StartupNation Radio Show is "Paid Program"?

JimNJimN Posts: 2subscriber
edited April 2006 in Watercooler Talk

Last week and this week I noticed that my local TV station, KNWQ 910 in
San Francisco, CA, states a disclaimer before the StartupNation radio
show that it is a "paid program".

When did this change, or has StartupNation always been a paid program?

Comments

• RichRich Las Vegas, NVPosts: 636administrator Site Admin
    hey, jim - thanks for joining the NATION!!!
    regarding your question, we`re not on TV anywhere (YET!) but look for us later this year. that`s all i`m saying. and it won`t be "paid programming".
    in case you meant to say radio, we`re not "paid programming" in that medium either. we are on KNEW 910 in the Bay Area - where we get many callers and have many, many listeners - and we`ll be sure to contact them about this. sounds like, since the program isn`t produced at their station, they applied this incorrect disclaimer to the show.
    thank you so much for bringing this to our attention - we`ll be sure to sniff this out.
  • JimNJimN Posts: 2subscriber

Hi Rich...

Yeah, of course I meant "radio". 

I never heard KNEW say that before.  I just wondered if you
    changed your business model for distributing the radio show...maybe it
    was more lucrative to sell your own ads and then pay the station for
    the whole hour.  I`m glad to hear it has not changed.

Thanks!

hey, jim - thanks for joining the NATION!!!
    regarding your question, we`re not on TV anywhere (YET!) but look
    for us later this year. that`s all i`m saying. and it won`t be "paid
    programming".
    in case you meant to say radio, we`re not "paid programming" in that
    medium either. we are on KNEW 910 in the Bay Area - where we get many
    callers and have many, many listeners - and we`ll be sure to contact
    them about this. sounds like, since the program isn`t produced at their
    station, they applied this incorrect disclaimer to the show.
    thank you so much for bringing this to our attention - we`ll be sure to sniff this out.
  • ININININ Posts: 0subscriber
    JimN or Rich, I live in the Bay Area as well.  Can you tell me when StarupNation is on KNEW 910   Thanks!
  • JimNJimN Posts: 2subscriber

Hi ININ!

That would be 4:00 PM Saturdays.

I have an alarm set on my Palm.

JimN or Rich, I live in the Bay Area as well.  Can you tell me when StarupNation is on KNEW 910   Thanks!
  • ININININ Posts: 0subscriber
    LOL!  Thanks for the information.
  • iouone2iouone2 Posts: 14subscriber
    I`m in the south bay (SJ), and that station`s reception comes in
    sooooo poorly. I am never able to hear much of it. Therefore I
    look through the online broadcasts and have found them very
    helpful.
  • TechShopJimTechShopJim Posts: 1subscriber
    Hi Rich...KNEW 910 is listed on your web site as our local affiliate, but they don`t play your show anymore and they don`t even list it on their program schedule.Do you know if your show is being aired in the SF Bay Area?Thanks!
    jim,we have an updated radio station list that simply has not made it to the website - priorities!!!not sure if we air in the bay area still, but we certainly can promise we`ll continue to archive the shows here for you to listen to or download. if you have any recommendations for bay area stations, please let me know.hope all`s well at the tech shop!
     Hi Rich...Thanks for the speedy reply!We have a new Bay Area station which is KTRB 860 AM.  It seems like they would be a pretty good fit.  They are currently running a repeat of a weekday syndicated show in the Saturday 4PM-5PM slot (the local time when your show is broadcast live).  KTRB`s web site is:  http://www.ktrb860.com/Why don`t you try to do a live web cast?  I have a good friend who does live web casts to huge audiences without having to have his own huge bandwidth...I would love to help facilitate this if you`d like.Yes, everything is going great at TechShop!  We now have 14 employees, membership is nearing our cap of 500 members, we have lots of new classes coming online and people are loving them.  We were featured in the cover article in the July 2007 Inc. Magazine, complete with photos of me, and commentary by Paul Orfalea, founder of Kinkos!  Paul is going to visit TechShop in November, so I`ll have a chance to talk to him about how he grew Kinkos.  Guy Kawasaki has visited TechShop a few times, and I got to pick his brain about business matters.  I`m in learning mode right now so I can expand TechShop in a smart way and not blow it!TechShop is now at the point where I no longer have to be involved in daily operations, and I am focused on developing the franchise product of TechShop.  The demand for franchises is presenting itself so strongly to us.  We have 6 potential franchisees who want to write checks to us right now to open TechShops in San Jose, CA, Sacramento, CA, Los Angeles, CA, San Diego, CA, Portland, OR, and Durham, NC.  There are nearly 350 others in our database who indicated they want to open franchises too!It is all very exciting...and scary too!   
    this is incredibly good news, but not surprising at all, jim. based on what i saw when i visited, your concept is headed for big success. i strongly encourage you to create a second location before rolling out the system wide franchise concept. having that second location will teach you a lot about what it`s like to have a "store" that you`re not present at as much as you are/were at the original location. you can use your experiences there to roll out...regarding the live web casts, i`m interested. how can we collaborate on this?rich
     Hi Rich... Good advice on the second location!  I totally agree, and is part of my plan.I`m going to put you in touch with Andrew Krauss, founder of the Inventors Alliance (he might be a good one to help you with content for your shows)...he does live web casts and knows how to do them with very little outgoing bandwidth.  I was not able to email you directly...can you ping me via email so I can have Andrew email you?Thanks!!!