WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Quotes, phrases, slogans etc.....

jodi728jodi728 subscriber Posts: 1
edited February 2009 in Protecting Your Ideas
Hey everybody, My question is about quotes and phrases, I`ve looked all over the web and can`t get a clear answer. Basically, I came up with a small art design with my own quote for application to T-shirts, coffee mugs, bumperstickers, you name it. Does this need to protected, How do I protect it, and once protected, how do I sell it? Clear advice from anyone who has done this would be madly appreciated!!! Thanks!

Comments

• MattThomasMattThomas subscriber Posts: 2
    If you want the quote protected, you should get it trademarked. USPTO.gov (if you live in the US) is a great resource and can tell you how to get something trademarked.
    Once you have it trademarked, as far as I know, you are free to sell t-shirts, etc with the quote without worrying that someone will steal it.
  • jodi728jodi728 subscriber Posts: 1
    Thanks, both replies are helpful. Now so far I have only the one idea, and if I were to start manufacturing these items myself, I would be under pressure to come up with new designs on a regular basis. So how do I sell the design itself to a manufacturer? Are there people out there that seek out new designs so they don`t have to come up with them by them selves? What are these things worth on the market?
    jodi7282/27/2009 3:51 PM
  • MattThomasMattThomas subscriber Posts: 2
    If you are trying to sell an idea..be it a design, patent, trademark...it could require a lot of cold calling to try to get the appropriate contact/company to hear you out and consider to take your idea on. They get a lot of these types of calls a day, so it can be very difficult to get noticed.
    Not saying you can`t do it, just trying to let you know what would be in store if you will try to license a company to sell your product and pay you royalties. 
    If you do end up getting a deal, it can be quite rewarding.