WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Analyzing Competition

NetworkingInNCNetworkingInNC subscriber Posts: 2
edited August 2006 in Business Planning
First post to the SUN forums.  This is a great forum with a lot of good information.  My questions is:
When you do analysis on your competition, what is the best way to do this?  I`m looking at starting a computer/network services business and am currently working on the business plan.  I can see in the phone book who the competitiors are but don`t know how to go about getting information on them.
I have read some info off of the web, but it looks like it is near impossible to do.
Thanks for your help.

Jimmy

Comments

• Options
    NicoleCNicoleC subscriber Posts: 18
    When information is difficult to find then start with what is available: websites, census information, local Chamber and/or your local municipalities economic development office.
    From the competitors websites you can often find the services they offer.  If you were to compare their services to yours how are they similiar and how do they differeniate? How many businesses within your area provide similiar services? 
    If your primary clients will be businesses then obtaining a local Chamber directory might help you identify potential business clients.  Another source is to visit your local municipality`s economic development office.  Ask them if they can provide you, either complimentary or for a fee, with information on the community and/or the type of businesses within the area (retail, manufacturing, research & development, or services).  
    It is not much, but it is a start.