WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

If I had a handyman for a day I would use him / her to....

OhhBoyOhhBoy subscriber Posts: 5
edited March 2007 in Business Planning
I`d be curious to see how everyone would answer this question.  Please offer any suggestions. We are doing some due diligence on a handyman franchise. 
Thanks in advance.OhhBoy2007-3-19 21:57:3

Comments

• RumpelstiltskinRumpelstiltskin subscriber Posts: 1
    It might not be a bad idea to utilize the polling feature (the YELLOW BUTTON look up!). This way you can ask a multitude of  pointed/directed  questions regarding "types of services",  How much?..etc.
    Example:
    1.  Would you consider using a "handyman" for a day?
    2.  If yes. What types of chores/services?
    a) Grunt work
    b) Odds & ends
    c) Rob a bank
    3. What range/rate would you be willing to pay? 
    a) $50-75
    b) $75-100
    c) $100-125
    4. By the hour?
    a) $10
    b) $15
    c) $ 20
    Have fun with it!

This way you get marketing research as well! Good Luck! Good Idea!Rumpelstiltskin2007-3-19 23:7:18
  • RumpelstiltskinRumpelstiltskin subscriber Posts: 1
    My mom uses a handyman for anything involving a screwdriver, hammer, wrench, saw, or ladder. Oh....and a drill.
    You have a Mom! You must be rich. We could not afford one.
  • TSommTSomm subscriber Posts: 1
    My husband happens to be very handy and in the past he`s done all the handy projects around the house.  But we`ve been so busy starting and running our business that sort of thing has been put on hold.  When father-in-law comes to visit the things get done!  He`s a professional handy-man.  Anyone in the Toledo, Ohio area?  I highly recommend him.
    TSomm2007-3-20 14:4:36
  • ToddFToddF subscriber Posts: 3
    I`d have him take my wife on a date so I could finally get some sleep!
    No seriously, I`m pretty handy but I think where the business would be very useful would be with businesses. Our salon constantly needs to be painted, lights changed, shelves fixed, tons of stuff always needs to be done. Now if I could spend some cash and have someone come in and do that "grunt" work I pay for the service, if it was cheap enough. I`m sure lots of businesses are that way, desks need to be built or moved, cubicals need to be built the list goes on and on.
  • conciergeladyconciergelady subscriber Posts: 4
    I have a handyman and I send my montly dues to him whether he comes or not. But I do make sure he comes over monthly for an hour or two. He does the things that I cant do or dont want to do. Like moving furniture around, moves boxes from here to there. He assembles exercise equipment that I have.  He has his workers do the outside pruning and planting and whatever you need.  He has a list of things that are included and some that arent. So I do have to pay extra for that. But his rates are reasonable. I couldnt do without it and I am glad to pay the monthly fee.
  • hockeyfan21hockeyfan21 subscriber Posts: 3
    Hi Ohhboy,

May I ask what state you are in? I`m looking at a handyman franchise myself in Oregon and would like to compare.

• susiefensusiefen subscriber Posts: 1
    It would depend on how cute he is. . .

No, seriously. I am in the middle of running a business and renovating a house, so he could sand beams, finish plastering the cathedral ceiling, lay hardwood floor, paint the walls, install a pantry, put an island in the kitchen, install granite countertops, and rip down a wall. Oh, yes, and completely renovate the basement.

Of course, all of this couldn`t be done in a day, so maybe you could find clients like me who would need a handyman-for-a-day for more than one day.

Best of luck!