WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

A tough location question

digitalvision313digitalvision313 subscriber Posts: 3
Hey all,
I`m having an interesting issue.  Our company, and interactive media and marketing agency, has been in the same area for most of it`s life, in big city downtown.
Well, that big city downtown doesn`t always have the best reputation and although things are happening that have been beneficial, recent events in the news and on the street are making some clients who use one of our services (a talk recording studio) a bit skittish about coming down.
We`ve been large proponents of urban and depressed areas throughout our history, however, as we grow in size we find many of our suburban prospects nervous about coming downtown; some even suggesting we move to another urban-type area in their county (they know our DNA and I do too; if I asked my team to work in an office park they`d be very unhappy, as would I).
It`s definitely an emotionally torn issue for us, the partners - we`ve all lived in the neighborhood (one of the reasons we started it there), know that most of the problems are perception and not reality - however, we acknowledge that maybe part of what holds us back from doing even better is our location, especially now as we have a portion of our business where people come to regularly.
We have some good regular clients, although smaller, that are neighbors and I don`t want to abandon them; however, as we go for bigger and bigger dollar items we`re finding more and more resistance.
I`d be most appreciative if anyone has any advice.  I`m slightly worried we need to tread carefully.  Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    besthealthbesthealth subscriber Posts: 4
    In my own two cents - I agree that you have to make this transition as carefully and thoughtfully as possible. If you know that you are capable of growing your business to the level that you have dreamed of and this move will be instrumental in getting you to that goal - then I would go for it. Although there may be those who are a bit reluctant - they will hopefully understand the direction that you are going in to take the business to the next level.
    Whatever you do, I wish you the best!!!!!!besthealth6/26/2008 3:56 PM
  • Options
    sunshinesunshine subscriber Posts: 0
    I understand totally. I was born, raised, educated and have my business in the city. Add to that owning a home in the city. Should I stay or go? Would business improve along with a different address?
    I`d suggest that you make sure the decision is less emotional, more strategic and follows your vision and mission. When it`s all said and done, you have to feel good about your choices and at peace with decisions. Life is short. 
  • Options
    digitalvision313digitalvision313 subscriber Posts: 3
    Thanks both of you for your thoughts...
    JoAnn, after reading you, I wonder if the best solution is just find a better location for what I need within the city that mitigates some of the concerns.  The community is great to be a part of, and I love bringing business there - I don`t now but for a long time lived in the city myself and love the energy, despite the fact that when I`m at networking events I`m pretty, let`s just say, unusual and get lots of odd looks.