WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Humbit

jerejere subscriber Posts: 1
edited May 2009 in Website Critique

Comments

• WeblineWebline subscriber Posts: 13 Bronze Level Member
    If potential users can`t see what is actually on the site, see what you offer, see what they can do, see how it will be of any use/benefit/value to them, they will see no point in signing up for it. I didn`t, anyway. All I saw was a black screen with a few tiny dots. What`s the point of it? What am I supposed to actually do?
  • jerejere subscriber Posts: 1
    I appreciate your point. I`ve been struggling with (and rewriting) the front page. Here`s the problem: I want to explain in terms of benefits, even intangibles, not a laundry list of features. And I`m also trying to reach the ultra-brevity of popular sites like facebook (whose starter text is one sentence) and twitter.
    Instead of explaining it here (which would be useless to users), I`ve rewritten the front page: Humbit. I hope you can have another look. It`s a lot longer than what I`m shooting for, but I think it addresses your point as best as I can. Maybe I should outsource this to someone else; I`m not the best writer.
    Thanks!
    I don`t think the length of your intro is the real issue, although it does need to be shortened.
    1) I don`t really get the connection with getting noticed and celebrities.
    2) "Instead of hiding in obscurity, you`ll be out in the open"  OK, but the problem is that I`m represented by a 1 x 1 pixel spot, which doesn`t really make me stand out from anyone else .... if you end up with thousands of users, where does my spot stand out from any other spot? How would I even know which spot was mine? How would I know how to find a certain user, or know who`s pixel I`m clicking on beforehand? And trying to click on one tiny particular spot among thousands could be difficult for many users.
    3) "one million people will see a link to your profile every time they use the site."  This doesn`t quite make sense, I think just from the way it`s written.
    Still, even with the more wordy intro, it isn`t clear what I can add/do/submit as a member. An FAQ page would help.
    I think it`s cool that you are looking at a new twist on something popular, and I really don`t mean to be totally negative ... what I`m saying is just my opinion .... but to me there are still gaps in the logic/reasoning of using it, and the pixel aspect seems like it could be frustrating to use.
    Hmm. Didn`t expect an idea critique on the website critique forum, Webline, but I`ll take it.
    "1) I don`t really get the connection with getting noticed and celebrities."
    This is probably terribly worded, but I`m making a reference to the recent battle between CNN and Ashton Kutcher to reach a million followers on twitter (I linked to the story). The point is this: celebrity in real life seems to translate well into celebrity online. What about everyone else?
    "2) "Instead of hiding in obscurity, you`ll be out in the open"  OK, but
    the problem is that I`m represented by a 1 x 1 pixel spot, which
    doesn`t really make me stand out from anyone else .... if you end up
    with thousands of users, where does my spot stand out from any other
    spot? How would I even know which spot was mine? How would I know how
    to find a certain user, or know who`s pixel I`m clicking on beforehand?
    And trying to click on one tiny particular spot among thousands could
    be difficult for many users."
    Well, that`s the trade off. You stand out by the color you pick. Admittedly, that`s a hard sell, but the advantage is your pixel getting to shown to LOTS of people. Personally, I feel like I`m stranded on other social networking sites. To hit a couple of your points, I`m going to very soon implement a feature that shows you exactly where you are. I don`t really see that as something that needs explaining before someone even signs up though. Also, it isn`t necessary to click directly on a pixel (as that is very difficult indeed), just close to it.
    "3) "one million people will see a link to your profile every time they use the site."  This doesn`t quite make sense, I think just from the way it`s written."
    There are one million potential users. Every time they look at the pixels, they will see your pixel (even if they never click on it). That`s still a lot of exposure.
    I`m skeptical about spending even more time explaining things. This is facebook`s (you might have heard of it) explanation of their stie which sits right next to the registration form on the front page: "Facebook helps you connect and share with the people in your life."
    That doesn`t tell me a single thing about what a user can add/do/submit and I would kill to have 1% of facebook`s success.
    Now that I`ve explained all that, the question is how to break it down for users in a lot less words. A FAQ, btw, is a great idea and something I had planned. I`m not finished with the site. I`m working on little pieces here and there.
    Thanks.
  • vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    Interesting idea.

Two problems I see (or don`t see):
    - I could not really see a 1px by 1px dot at first... I had to look very closely. Could be because my eyes are old, but this may be an issue.
    - I do not get a sense that the site is really a social networking site (like facebook). I didn`t see tools to interact with other "humbit-ers".

The combination of the 1px dot and colors on the black background will make it hard for any viewer to stand out. Also, I think, make it very frustrating for viewers to "find" anyone.

Will you have a search feature?

~Roland
  • VideographyVideography subscriber Posts: 401 Silver Level Member
    When our first impression of a site is "I don`t get it", then we are inclined to question the business model.
    If your visitors don`t "get it", then your site could be the most perfectly designed and implemented site that would pass any technical review, but still be a failure in the business sense.
    Jere,
    I am not knocking the idea of something new ... I think that the term "exposure" apparently has different meanings between us .... you feel that a 1x1 pixel gives your users exposure, and that`s fine, where I feel that the same thing is still a colored pixel, and doesn`t tell me anything useful by just looking at it, and really have no idea what to actually do with them when I see them .... either as a member or a visitor, 1,000,00 of them together might be pretty to look at, but essentially all I`m seeing is colored pixels .... so I guess it`s how the overall concept is percieved by the viewer ....
    So I get the concept you are relaying, and as I previously stated I think it`s cool that you`re trying to do something new .... but myself, it`s not something that I would think of as useful as it currently is .... if you`re open to suggestions, I`m sure that people here are willing to give you some input on how to make it more intuitive and understandable for the average viewer ....
    And yes, I have heard of Facebook ....
    Thanks, everyone. I think maybe I need to come back when I`ve progressed a bit further. This is still a WIP.
    "So I get the concept you are relaying, and as I previously stated I
    think it`s cool that you`re trying to do something new .... but myself,
    it`s not something that I would think of as useful as it currently is
    .... if you`re open to suggestions, I`m sure that people here are
    willing to give you some input on how to make it more intuitive and
    understandable for the average viewer ...."
    Totally understandable and I definitely AM open to suggestions.
  • VideographyVideography subscriber Posts: 401 Silver Level Member
    Jere - it`s simple: "What`s in it for ME?"
    Answer that so that your mom "gets it", and most visitors will also "get it".  (This is the legendary `mom test` that I had a part in developing in the 80`s).