WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Niche marketing or generalize

jenidlgjenidlg subscriber Posts: 2
edited April 2008 in Marketing
I am a Virtual Assistant specializing in Real Estate.  The trouble I`m having is that the Real Estate Market is very soft right now and a lot of agents are unresponsive.  I currently have one regular client but he`s cutting my time down due to the market conditions.  I really need this business to grow so I`m considering going outside of my niche and offering more generalized services.  Is this going to adversely affect how I market within my niche?  My website is not very specific to my niche and is very general but my marketing materials, postcards and brochures are specific to my niche. 

Comments

• EdgEventEdgEvent subscriber Posts: 10
     I don`t see why you couldn`t. if you really like the real estate Niche, that great.  Maybe say you specialize in or have experience in Real Estate work, but that your skills are universal and useful to any type of company. That way you`re not closing the door to other kinds of business.
  • JeffMooreJeffMoore subscriber Posts: 1
    Why don`t you spend a few weeks researching the areas that are GROWING in 2008 vs. declining.  I haven`t done thorough research but I`m guessing things like "green", "solar power", "debt reduction", "employment assistance" etc. would be quite popular right now.  Then pick one that interests you, read a few books on the topic, talk to a couple of local business owners to see the kind of VA services they could use to help them, then position yourself to offer services in this 2nd niche.  Just a thought....
    JeffMoore4/3/2008 10:10 PM
  • Sharing1Sharing1 subscriber Posts: 0
    I would recommend that you target your niche a little more and put a little spin on advertising!Sharing14/6/2008 1:29 PM
  • If your website is not focused on real estate, perhaps that`s part of the problem. Maybe you need to get a little more focused there to generate more business.
    If you really want to look at another niche, I`d consider a second website. Also, where I am real estate is hot in the summer and dead in the winter. If the trend is the same for your location, perhaps you could look for a niche that is busier in the winter. This will even out your workload and your cash flow.
    Good luck.
    Andrea
  • bigznetbigznet subscriber Posts: 0
    I don't think there's anything wrong with expanding into another niche, but as others have mentioned, you'll probably need a second website if you want to broaden your exposure...