WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Overseas manufacures and Protecting your intrests

Acme101Acme101 subscriber Posts: 3
edited October 2008 in Protecting Your Ideas

Ok, I know that there is a lot of manufacturing going on overseas.  A company such as the one that I am trying to get off the ground will most likely have to outsource the manufacturing of my product to a company outside the U.S.  (I would gladly have someone in the U.S. that could produce the plastic pieces that I need if they could do it and make it cost effective for me.)

What is stopping the company that I choose from selling the pieces to a competitor?  A lot of the pieces are not original ideas and are unlicensed. 

If the company makes them for me, can I secure the pieces that they make to only be sold to me?

Comments

• Acme101Acme101 subscriber Posts: 3
    One more thing... Should I look to Mexico or China for plastic pieces to be made?
  • Acme101Acme101 subscriber Posts: 3
    Wow... there are quite a few angles there.  I can understand how that would be a disadvantage.  I will set my sites on Mexico for now.  I speak more spanish that chinese anyways.

So, do you think  the manufacturing company will sell the same thing  I have them make for me to other venders?

Thank you for your hard earned knowledge.
    Jeff
    Acme10110/27/2008 7:33 AM
  • SlowCookerMateSlowCookerMate subscriber Posts: 1
    If you are concerned about working with a company overseas, find a good sourcing agent.  They can check on the reputation of the company and also review the working conditions in the factory.  The sourcing agent also reviews for quality.  They can be there for pre-production, production and post-production inspections where it would be very expensive for you to go.

I am importing from China and have a wonderful sourcing agent that I trust immensely.  If you want his contact info, PM me.  I will be happy to share with you.

If you are buying "off the shelf" things and assembling them to make a larger piece, don`t use the mfg for packaging.  Break up the pieces so no company knows everything.  Apply the "What they don`t know philosphy..."

Best of luck.
  • sanctionsanction subscriber Posts: 0

Hi
    I have been looking for a over seas manufacturer to produce a product I invented. I would be interested in your source agents contact info.

Thank you

Andrew