WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

How Many Re-designs did you do?

JBSurfsJBSurfs subscriber Posts: 10 Member
edited March 2009 in Selecting a Business
Long time since I`ve been on here, but I`m working on a new product.  I`ve been on it not full time since I have a day job, but a good a moutn of time for 2 months.  Between dream and reality, I`ve probably made about 10-15 changes so far.  Still the same basic idea, just changes.  Without giving away the idea, the equivalent of changing from a zipper to buttons.

Just thought it would be interesting for anyone else to tell how many changes they made along the way from idea to reality.  I think too often, myself included, we come up with an idea and race to sell it without really having the product.  Then later find out we can`t get what we want to sell.

Comments

• MattThomasMattThomas subscriber Posts: 2
    I make plenty of changes as I add more content, products or design elements to my site.
    I think often the best way to know if your tweaking is worthwhile is to do some A/B testing with Google Website Optimizer to see which version of your site converts more visitors.
  • AmirAmir subscriber Posts: 0
    Redesigning / updating your business and website are constant necessities.  You`re not going to get everything right the first time through...that`s just how it is... 
  • CarstenJacobsenCarstenJacobsen subscriber Posts: 0
    I think many entrepreneurs try too hard to make the product/website/etc. 100% perfect before they show it to customers. Their time to market becomes very long and they may risk ending up with a product the customers aren’t asking for. Simply because they haven’t got the vital customer feedback in the development process.
    I even think quite a few entrepreneurs never bring their products to the market because they are working so long time with making the product perfect – without really getting anywhere – that they lose interest in the project.

So my advice would be: Accept that the product is only 95% perfect and start selling. Make adjustments when time and money allows it.
    CarstenJacobsen3/27/2009 10:22 AM
  • MattThomasMattThomas subscriber Posts: 2

I think many entrepreneurs try too hard to make the product/website/etc. 100% perfect before they show it to customers. Their time to market becomes very long and they may risk ending up with a product the customers aren’t asking for. Simply because they haven’t got the vital customer feedback in the development process.
    I even think quite a few entrepreneurs never bring their products to the market because they are working so long time with making the product perfect – without really getting anywhere – that they lose interest in the project. So my advice would be: Accept that the product is only 95% perfect and start selling. Make adjustments when time and money allows it.

Excellent, excellent advice. You site will NEVER be 100% perfect, and spending too much time making the site look just 1% nicer is not going to do much for your bottom line. Make the site "Good Enough to Ship" (as Biziness said) and start marketing it right away. Then, hire someone else to make the appropriate tweaks when necessary.MattThomas3/30/2009 11:36 AM