WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Should I add a member to my LLC?

JeffAtlJeffAtl subscriber Posts: 1
edited June 2008 in Growth Funding
I started a company in March in an effort to break away from the corporate world forever.  However, going on my 4th month I have made next to nothing thusfar (due to the economy and my shoestring marketing budget) and am living off savings.  I have been approached by someone who I believe is willing to invest in my business.  But his initial offer was such a small amount, and he wanted to be 40% owner.  I think he was testing me with that and will likely increase is offer.  He has a lot of knowledge and contacts and could help me grow the business.  But do I want him to be a 40% owner with such a small initial investment?  On the other hand, if things don`t improve immediately, I will have to go back to work full time and just run the business part time.  So what to do?  I don`t know this person well, so it would be a leap of faith.  What kinds of questions should I ask before allowing him to become a 40% owner in the LLC? 
Thanks,
Jeff

Comments

• robertjrobertj subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    Jeff,
    Will this person be an active "partner" in the business or is he just investing?
    Do you share the same vision & purpose for the company?
    Do you have the same core vales?
    Why do you think this capital will make an big difference in the results? (if the economy is the issue - more capital won`t change that)
    If you decide that this person would be an asset to the business - then you need to define the terms of the exchange.

• minimegeologyminimegeology subscriber Posts: 26
    Hi Jeff,

I would say no.  Forty percent is a huge chunk of your business to give away after just four months.  I would take a part time job to create some income until the business takes off before I would give away my idea.  That is what I`m doing.

Good luck.  Let us know what you decide.

Tracy