WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Wholesale help

jbres27jbres27 subscriber Posts: 1
edited January 2008 in Selecting a Business
I`m in the process of launching my website, and I was wondering, do I need a license to sell wholesale to other businesses?
Or, is it on their end, since they are purchasing a large amount from me, are they the ones who will need the license?
Thanks,
Jamie

Comments

• GrillCharmerGrillCharmer subscriber Posts: 7
    Hello Jamie!
    You should be able to go to your State`s govnt website to find this out.  Here in SC you need a retail license only if you are selling to an end user.  There is a "wholesalers" license however and that just lets YOU purchase w/o paying sales tax on items.  Also your local SBDC or SBA will have all this info handy.
  • spungeyspungey subscriber Posts: 2
    In Oregon, it all depends on whether your "business" (at home, I presume) is in the city or in the county, and whether you made an LLC or remained a proprieter, or something else.   If you`re in Oregon you`d probably get great answers from your local Chamber of Commerce and the county clerk.  (Our clerks here do *everything* from passports to land taxes to paperwork to business to ... )
  • tommyjeanstommyjeans subscriber Posts: 4
    Jamie
    You need a business license and reseller`s permit if you are planning to sell a physical product