WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Clothing + Product Manuf

jbarone2000jbarone2000 subscriber Posts: 1
I'm working on three projects -- one is women's clothing, one is handbag-related and the third is a product package design -- where I need to find someone who can execute my ideas into a pattern or a blueprint (in the case of the product) so I could have a prototype. I have no idea how to look for such people. Am I looking for a tailor, in the case of the clothing or am I looking for a designer? Same for the handbag? And for the product package, do I need an industrial designer or a manufacturer? Any insights would be great. Thanks.

Comments

• kathleenfasanellakathleenfasanella subscriber Posts: 0
    You should be looking for a pattern maker. "Pattern maker" is an archaic job title to describe a product design engineer in the apparel industry.
    Tailors will certainly be more accessible but keep in mind that they largely do MTM or made to measure for individual clients. To manufacture, your patterns must withstand a higher barre that comply with production standards and tailors rarely have this sort of experience.
    In the apparel industry, designers provide another sort of function. Largely project managers, they often take pattern making in school but the two careers are divergent -and rarely the twain shall meet.
    You might consider visiting Fashion-Incubator.com (my site). It is the most popular technical site in the apparel industry with over 2,000 in depth entries on every aspect you could imagine about starting, launching and running a clothing line. I've been a pattern maker for nearly 3 decades.
  • reeva01reeva01 subscriber Posts: 0
    Exactly you need a industrial designer and a professional one. who tells you accurately.
    casual kurtis