WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Feedback needed for our website

daisyzoodaisyzoo subscriber Posts: 1
edited September 2006 in Website Critique
HI
We`ve launched our website selling baby gifts and gift boxes in the UK. Sales are good and the business is growing as expected. All we want to know is an honest opinion of the website and if anyone has any suggestions about content, photography or design then please feel free to be a honest as you like.
Cheers in advance
Daisy the ZooKeeper

Comments

• NuevolutionNuevolution subscriber Posts: 30 Bronze Level Member
    The web site looks good.How is the Search Engine Optimization? Have you sold items online yet?

• williamwilliam subscriber Posts: 2
    HI
    We`ve launched our website selling baby gifts and gift boxes in the UK. Sales are good and the business is growing as expected. All we want to know is an honest opinion of the website and if anyone has any suggestions about content, photography or design then please feel free to be a honest as you like.
    Cheers in advance
    Daisy the ZooKeeperuhhhh.  There`s nothing there
  • sarahleighmsarahleighm subscriber Posts: 3
    Hi Daisy,
    Love the website, I had trouble earlier logging on to it but
    obviously that problem has been fixed. I have forwarded your
    site to all my relatives that still live in the UK, so hopefully more
    busines will be coming your way!! Good luck and I will be
    checking out your site`s products for some baby ideas for my
    line of "Baby Love" Hope you don`t mind!
    Cheers
  • ChuckChuck subscriber Posts: 6
    I`d have to agree with the font size issue - from your style sheet it looks like you`re using a 10pt font, which is going to be difficult for many to deal with.  Simply boosting that to 12pt could make a huge difference.Beyond that obvious issue, I like the overall design of the site, it`s appealing, with a clear navigation stream.  One usability issue (again with the fonts) - there are too many font colors being employed, and they`re not being used consistently - i.e. you use the orange font for both headings and body text, and the former are not links, while the latter are. You`re making me guess which text links through to something, which generally isn`t a good idea (especially if you`re employing non-standard font colors for linked text).I`m not clear why everyone is getting after you for SEO, it looks to me like you`ve taken some good steps in this area for on-page optimization, I haven`t really delved into off-site factors - one question I had was about the huge amount of text links at the bottom of your main page.  Beyond being so cumbersome, if that`s intended for SEO purposes, you`re probably going to see limited benefit from that; better off having good sub-pages that clearly link through to all of your items, which you basically have.One last point - small pet peeve of mine - your logo doesn`t link back to your home page!
  • FreshYieldsFreshYields subscriber Posts: 0
    Agree with Chuck on his comments.  Font size is something that we play with alot, and something that my designer and I argue about often.  Seems that designers LOVE small fonts .  You`re OK leaving the 10pt fonts in the menu, as they seem to fit the width best at that size.  I would rework the top of the content section to feature your products as soon as possible above the fold.  You have excellent product pictures.  I think the introduction/welcome text is not needed, and just adds to the clutter on the home page. You have a lot going on there.Once you get consistant traffic, I`m a big fan of a/b testing for a site like yours.  See what your traffic and conversions are like for the site as is for a week or two, then change it around for another week or two.  Study whether the new layout did better or worse, or if a hybrid of the two would work best.
  • MatthewReinboldMatthewReinbold subscriber Posts: 3
    I also have to agree with Chuck. You establish a pattern on the left hand side by having links in oragne font. Then when I go into a product category the headers are the same font size and also orange - I expected to be able to click on the headers and have it take me somewhere. Not sure but I was also perplexed by the `More Info` buttons. If I click on an image I expect to see a larger picture of the product. If I click on `More Info` I expected to see more on the product - not the larger picture. I was in the bib area so I`m not sure if all products are like this but I did feel somewhat mislead by the `more info` button.Otherwise I love the site - the colors are bold and fun, the layout (other than font size) is straightforward, and their is definately a level of polish there. Love to see what you have in store with this site.
  • daisyzoodaisyzoo subscriber Posts: 1
    HI All
    I`ve just got back from a week in the sun to find all your feedback. Thanks for taking the time to look and give your comments. I`ll be taking all your comments on bourd especially for my cluttered homepage and I`ll have a look at the font size......
    It`s great to get feedback on my site, I get confused about all the advice from SEO `s and appreciate the view of folk that aren`t trying to squeeze money out of me.
    Thanks again
  • lainhklainhk subscriber Posts: 5
    Hi Daisy zoo - I really like your website, very impressive. May I ask a startup question.
    1) Do you believe that its important to spend money on your website?
    2) Do you produce your own stock, or get it from a supplier, if so, what tactics did you do to build supplier relationship.
    Im doing online gift wedding registry, and finding it difficult to approach vendors to list on my site - problem is Im not too familiar with establishing pricing, etc.. should I buy wholesale and sell retail... or ask for referal fee?
    Any advice small or big would be appreciated.