WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Need Help Choosing e-Commerce Hosting

2»

Comments

• Options
    sddreamweaverssddreamweavers subscriber Posts: 5 Member
    I am an e-entrepreneur wanna-be. In my research, I have found that good web hosts companies are not so great at hosting e-commerce. Talk about confusing add-ons.  I have currently narrowed down the list to West Host, GoDaddy, Lunar Pages, Yahoo!, and Network solutions.  I need a what-you-see-is-what-you-get company.  This is why I have chosen these companies. Loads of easy to find info with price tags.
    Anyone have any opinions?

Stay away from Network Solutions for hosting.  They have a condition in their hosting plans `terms of agreement` that is never read.  The condition allows Network Solutions to, unless you tell them not to in writing, use any subdomain they want of the domain you are hosting with them for dummy spam link and ad sites.
    GoDaddy is ok for shared e-commerce hosting.  They have many limitations for running PHP carts that you can`t get around without purchasing a dedicated server.
    Stay away from Yahoo!sddreamweavers6/25/2008 6:17 AM
  • Options
    infiltainfilta subscriber Posts: 8
    Aaron, I am pretty sure virtual private server would work same as dedicated server as far as PHP limitations, if you`re talking about adding extensions or editing php.ini. But it would cost you kno 5-6 times less then a dedicated server.
  • Options
    sddreamweaverssddreamweavers subscriber Posts: 5 Member
    Aaron, I am pretty sure virtual private server would work same as dedicated server as far as PHP limitations, if you`re talking about adding extensions or editing php.ini. But it would cost you kno 5-6 times less then a dedicated server.

Yup.   However, their virtual servers aren`t that cheap either.  They`re friggin great if you know Unix as you have full access to the server.
    Go Daddy`s shared hosting is a wee bit behind the times, technology wise.  You can only do limited things with the php.ini on Go Daddy Servers.  I guess what I`m trying to say is that make 100% sure that your cart will work on their servers before making a shared hosing purchase but don`t hold your breath.sddreamweavers6/25/2008 10:19 PM
  • Options
    infiltainfilta subscriber Posts: 8
    Aaron, I hosted with GoDaddy, iPower, I tried HostGator too. I didn`t like neither of them. Had shared hosting with all of them, also VPS with iPower (which ended up in a disaster at one point).
    In the mean time I ended up with a dedicated server with Liquidweb and now also have shared with Elief and I am really happy with both. Liquidweb is superb as far as technology and support. I don`t count colocated servers that we have on Wilshire in L.A. - those guys are very cool too.
    PS I like Godaddy for domain registration, iPower used to be so cheap that you couldn`t but register with them. infilta6/25/2008 11:27 PM
  • Options
    jayme28jayme28 subscriber Posts: 3
    @HostRail: Thanks for the congrats. Figuring out the shopping cart is next. I may seek you out in the future!
    @sddreamweavers:  Good to know about he Network Solutions agreement. They are sooooo expensive too.
    @infilta: Your feedback and contribution to this forum is so helpful.  Everyone`s experience with different hosts gives me a lot to think about that I hadn`t read before.
    Jaymejayme286/26/2008 12:24 AM
  • Options
    gethxngethxn subscriber Posts: 0
    hi i wish to add my hosting experience here .i hosted many sites for my
    business here webpole here they provide free hosting
    service for each paid domainthat we buy from them .here i choose ultimate hosting plan for my sites for which they provide meUnlimited Space+ & Bandwidth!1000 Email Accounts2Unlimited MySQL Databaseshere we can Enhance our site with today's hottest hosting applications and utilities.they
    also provide many other services like domain transfer,domain
    registration etc... at reasonable cost.i felt happy with their service.