WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Should a start-up outsource at an early stage?

jaydee4438jaydee4438 subscriber Posts: 1
edited November 2008 in Business Planning
I have started a new venture with one of my partner in the telecommunication space. We are thinking to outsource but we are not able to decide it. We need some opinions whether a startup should outsource at an early stage or not......suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• robertjrobertj subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    I think it depends upon a number of factors,  starting with "if it`s not your genius- don`t make it your job" 

• sullivankasullivanka subscriber Posts: 0
    Excellent response Robert.
    I look at it like this: 
    If your time is worth, say, $80 per hour, why would you do a task that you could pay someone $20 per hour to do. 
    Kathleen
    The Savvy VA
  • WebJunkyWebJunky subscriber Posts: 8 Member
    agreed and agreed, however i am a big advocate of spending some time in your business so you know from practical experience the nature and state of your business. theory and practical experience can be very different. spend a little time, get tired and frustrated and face the challeneges....once you know what it takes....hand it over and manage it closely.

you might say why learn the hard way when you dont have to? you are right you dont have to. it is something i personally prefer and preach. i have worked "in" my business for at least the initial 3 months (in some cases longer) and have handed them off subsequently. the formula has worked great for me and i wouldnt do it any different.
  • GaryBarzelGaryBarzel subscriber Posts: 1
    There definitely are benefits to outsourcing certain elements of your startup. In order to be competitive in any market your business needs to standout, getting an outsourcing company that is well established can help, as they know what they should be doing.