WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

How to become a socially conscious business

fiziofizio subscriber Posts: 2
edited August 2008 in Marketing
I am getting ready to launch my web based startup business and am trying to figure out the best way to incorporate a way to give a portion of my profit (from memberships) to my favorite charity. 

Comments

• Options
    RichRich administrator Posts: 582 Site Admin
    have you checked out our blog on this topic, jason? it`s written by Christine Haskell.

you can find it (subscribe to it, too) and all others, HERE.
  • Options
    DefMallDefMall subscriber Posts: 2 Member
    I think there is a mis-conception that you have to donate ALL of your profits to be a valuable and socially responsible company. If you can donate even as little as 10 pecernt of your after tax profits...and conduct business in a socially responsible way...then there is no shame in retaining some profits and growing your business. Afterall, you have to eat, right?

I blog about businesses that donate a portion of their profits to charity.

www.ShopForTheGood.blogspot.com

I have been fortunate to become `friendly` with many of the companies I blog about as well.

Why don`t you look at some of the companies I have capsuled, and if you see a potential business model that you like I can put you in touch with them.

Likewise, when you get YOUR venture off the ground, I`d be happy to capsule YOU.
    DefMall8/15/2008 9:03 AM
  • Options
    Craig, I think you are taking my "socially conscious" choice of words a little to much to heart. I am not planning on simply throwing a portion of my profit into a random charity just for the chance to prove that my business is socially conscious/responsible. 

I am a Physical Therapist by trade and am starting a website business catering to physical therapists and other movement professionals (personal trainers, chiropractors, physicians).  I have experience working with charitable institutions in the past (as a volunteer) and would like to work in a way to continue that support through my business venture.

That said, I would love to have the resources that Microsoft and HP have, so that I could really "make a difference," but I also think that even small companies can have an effect and provide valuable assistance to selected charity groups.

Thank you all for the responses, I really do appreciate the feedback, both the pros and cons (Craig). 
  • Options
    Paula, thanks for the info on Kiva.org and the Zopa CD.... I liked both options and will look into them more.