How to become a socially conscious business

fiziofizio subscriber Posts: 2
edited August 2008 in Marketing
I am getting ready to launch my web based startup business and am trying to figure out the best way to incorporate a way to give a portion of my profit (from memberships) to my favorite charity. 

Comments

• RichRich Las Vegas, NVadministrator Posts: 636 Site Admin
    have you checked out our blog on this topic, jason? it`s written by Christine Haskell.

you can find it (subscribe to it, too) and all others, HERE.
  • DefMallDefMall subscriber Posts: 2 Member
    I think there is a mis-conception that you have to donate ALL of your profits to be a valuable and socially responsible company. If you can donate even as little as 10 pecernt of your after tax profits...and conduct business in a socially responsible way...then there is no shame in retaining some profits and growing your business. Afterall, you have to eat, right?

I blog about businesses that donate a portion of their profits to charity.

www.ShopForTheGood.blogspot.com

I have been fortunate to become `friendly` with many of the companies I blog about as well.

Why don`t you look at some of the companies I have capsuled, and if you see a potential business model that you like I can put you in touch with them.

Likewise, when you get YOUR venture off the ground, I`d be happy to capsule YOU.
    DefMall8/15/2008 9:03 AM
  • fiziofizio subscriber Posts: 2
    Craig, I think you are taking my "socially conscious" choice of words a little to much to heart. I am not planning on simply throwing a portion of my profit into a random charity just for the chance to prove that my business is socially conscious/responsible. 

I am a Physical Therapist by trade and am starting a website business catering to physical therapists and other movement professionals (personal trainers, chiropractors, physicians).  I have experience working with charitable institutions in the past (as a volunteer) and would like to work in a way to continue that support through my business venture.

That said, I would love to have the resources that Microsoft and HP have, so that I could really "make a difference," but I also think that even small companies can have an effect and provide valuable assistance to selected charity groups.

Thank you all for the responses, I really do appreciate the feedback, both the pros and cons (Craig). 
  • fiziofizio subscriber Posts: 2
    Paula, thanks for the info on Kiva.org and the Zopa CD.... I liked both options and will look into them more.