We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Transferring Ownership of an LLC

JanetFJanetF subscriber Posts: 4
edited July 2007 in Grab Bag
Hi everyone,
I am at wits end here...so hopefully someone can help me. 
Here`s the deal: My husband and I want to transfer ownership of his Colorado LLC into my name. Currently he is the only owner and we want to take him off completely so that I am the new owner. How can this be done? Which forms and other paperwork need to be filled out?
I first called the Colorado Secretary of State and was told they will not help me decide which forms to fill out and promptly hung up on me.  I went on their website to look at the forms and the descriptions are so ambiguous that I have no idea which one(s) to fill out. Next, I contacted a SCORE counsellor and he told me to ask the Secretary of State and gave no other information to help me... See where this is going?  
Is there any USEFUL information anyone has on how to do this?
Thanks in advance,
JanetJanetF2007-6-29 16:23:38


  • Options
    NuevolutionNuevolution subscriber Posts: 30 Bronze Level Member
    Janet this might be helpful:http://www.sos.state.co.us/pubs/business/faq_busines s.htm#Q7575. How do I transfer the name of my business to another business?
    To transfer a reserved name from one holder to another holder, submit
    the Statement of Transfer of Reserved Name.
    There are no provisions in the statutes that allow for a business to
    transfer its name or trade name to another business. However, an entity
    can file an amendment to change its entity name or file a Statement of
    Dissolution to dissolve the entity. A trade name will become available
    when a Statement of Withdrawal of Trade Name is filed with the
    Secretary of State or when the entity is dissolved or withdrawn.
    Questions should be addressed to your legal, business or tax
Sign In or Register to comment.