How to do B2B marketing?

ivanpwivanpw Posts: 2subscriber
edited October 2006 in Marketing
Hi all,
I own one-stop business services.  I fairly don`t have problems in marketing one-to-one, but I have huge problems in B2B marketing, which is essential in growing my business.
Firstly, the condition.  We offer mainly services to customers - internet access, pay phone, photocopying & printing svcs, packages delivery & postal svcs, & airline ticketing.  Our products are not as vast as our services - calling cards, stationeries, & cell phone top up vouchers.
The question - how to offer other businesses our services, as they are no physical form to offer (i.e. if you market cakes B2B, you can promote: "buy 10 boxes, we could agree on a lower price tag/box, if you repeat order monthly on a 2-year contract, and, oh, you can also have 45-days grace period for payment"). We practice discounts for volume & repeat order, but it`s not very appealing for them.  They don`t want to sign any commitment contract, usually saying: "I know your stores.  I go there regularly anyway.  Why bother signing contract as if its a import-export agreement? Just give me a good price tag and my courier will pick up the copied papers."
Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• DeafCeoDeafCeo Posts: 3subscriber
    You stated there isn`t no physical form to offer. I am assuming an physical unit of a tradeable good?
    Well the phone companies doesn`t have an physical form but they do offer a service. It appears you are offering a service and that shouldn`t stop you getting the $$$ for what you are offering.
    What I would do is:
    1) You would need to find out why they are saying NO to a contract. Are they the FINAL DECISION MAKER or are they middle management?
    2) Also you need to find out what IS Not appealing to them - is it primary because of the fact they would have to buy in volume or the repeat order requirement? Bulk orders vs an option to restock?
    3) Are you a telecommuication provider (cell phone shop?) Or how would caterogize your business? Do you have a website?
    4) Put yourself in their shoes - what would make you say yes to a deal?
    5) If you are selling a product or service that is in demand but need to be refill on a monthly basis. I wouldnt worry about a long term contract I would focus on a short term contract. Because it is a hot commodity you would have the right to raise the price simply because they didn`t sign a contract.
     They want to make money with their markup as well but I am guessing at the same time they dont want to be stuck with excessive non moving inventory. It got to have a great turn (industry speak for how quickly an item is move from POINT A to POINT B to the POINT C) Think of you as the POINT A and then it goes to Wally`s World and the customer is Point C.
  • ivanpwivanpw Posts: 2subscriber
    DeafCeo,
    Thank you for your valuable insight.
    I`d agree that probably they wouldn`t be very interested to have a deal with me due to the volume requirement, and also the term of payment.  My business is a franchise unit of one of the leading franchises in my country -  which concepts similar to PostNet (one-stop business services provider) - not really plenty of tradable goods to offer.  Please visit www.multipluskarawaci.com</A> for more details. 
    My main income stream are internet access, photocopying services & package delivery.  Following the 80-20 rule, I tried to market those three services to businesses.
    My typical problem in B2B is: we offer a company to use one of our package delivery service, say, FedEx.  We require a minimum of, say, $2000/mo business transaction to get a 20% discount, on a 15-days payment grace period.  The company not only request more discount, they also request for a 30-days term of payment.  Our services & products are fast-moving, so a 30-days term (+ tight cash flow of my business) would suffer us a lot on the cash flow.  Plus, they won`t sign any agreement.  With no agreement & the term required, we can`t agree on a common ground & I regretably drop the offer, since it involves too much risk...  Not mentioning the difficulty in offering internet access services to businesses .
    Anyway, I truly agree that I should seek ways to contact the decision maker of the company for all our deals.
    Thanks in advance!ivanpw2006-10-27 15:42:36