WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Money-Back Guarantee for Intangible Products

carpewebcarpeweb subscriber Posts: 1
edited March 2008 in Sales
I`m in the planning stage for some products that would be delivered via standard reports -- probably PDF documents available for download or distributed by email.
I think that a money-back guarantee would enhance my value proposition, but I`m not sure how I will ensure that I don`t give money back to customers who actually are just trying to get my product for free.  For one product, I have an idea for a 30-day grace period, during which I could probably learn whether or not they actually "consumed" the material in my report.  For other products, I`m not so sure.
What experience have you had with money-back guarantees?
If your experience was with intangible products like information, how do you guard against this potential problem?

Comments

• Options
    DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
    Go ahead and guarantee your products. If you have quality products, you really don`t have to worry about issuing refunds. On average, less than 1% of consumers ever request a refund. Offering a guarantee will also increase your sales, because it will give consumers greater confidence in your products.

That being said, if your products are garbage, you can expect to recive a barrage of refund requests. And your business reputation will be mud. Always give people good value for their money.

Dale King
    DKing3/17/2008 1:26 PM
  • Options
    Badger82Badger82 subscriber Posts: 0
    I agree with Craig and Dale. The upside far outstrips the few who will try to game you. I can`t emphasize enough that your stuff has to be "worth it" or you will get disgruntled returns and your name can turn to trash very quickly.
  • Options
    SkipAndersonSkipAnderson subscriber Posts: 1
    I agree with everyone else, too. There will always be some people who will take advantage of a money-back guarantee just to get something for free. But the idea is that your sales will be far higher with a money-back guarantee than without, so you are able to absorb the cost of those refunds.
    Best of luck!
  • Options
    carpewebcarpeweb subscriber Posts: 1
    Thanks for the perspective, everyone.  I just needed some perspective, since I`ve never made this kind of offer before.
    Thanks again,
    Jim
  • Options
    menappimenappi subscriber Posts: 2
    If you have quality goods then it can`t hurt. This reminds me of my products guarantee. Although it is supposed to be funny..if i am ever contacted for a refund then i will honor it. To this date though, zero people have inquired about one.